Referencing Other Documents

Discuss the spreadsheet application
hepburn94

Referencing Other Documents

Post by hepburn94 »

good evening folks,

i am curious as to if there is a way to input a number inside of a1 on document 1, reference it to document 2 but instead of referencing to a1 only, i would like for it to be an expandable option for a1 to a100?

in document 1, i have a box thats located at a1. in document 2, i have 10 boxes with numbers and right next to them, i have names. i would like to input the number "2" inside document 1 - a1 and have document 1 reference document 2 and find number "2" and reference/transfer the name over to document 1.

is this possible? if confused, please let me know!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Referencing Other Documents

Post by robleyd »

By "box" can we assume you mean a cell in a spreadsheet?

Are "'document1" and "document2" different sheets in the same spreadsheet file, or are they two separate spreadsheet files?

The VLOOKUP function may be a possible solution, depending...
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
hepburn94

Post by hepburn94 »

I guess I was NOT as descriptive as I could have been.

Correct, by "box' I mean cell.

document 1 and document 2 are different save files, both have different names (two separate spreadsheet files).

Im trying to find the name that matches "2" on document 2. i could search for it myself but the process will be repeated roughly 20-230 times a day and would take hours (ideally, the numbers are over 10000 each)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

This sounds like a problem for a database :)

However, for a spreadsheet solution, VLOOKUP would possibly serve the purpose for you. Attached are two spreadsheet files, document1.ods and document2.ods. Document1 has only four cells populated; in Row 1 there are headers; in A2 you enter the number you want to look up and the corresponding name will be displayed in B2.

You will probably need to edit the link in document1.ods'#$Sheet1.B2 to reflect the path on your computer to document2 as the path to the file will be different from that on my Linux system.

If this doesn't solve your problem, perhaps you could elaborate a bit more on exactly what you are trying to achieve.
Attachments
document2.ods
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
document1.ods
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I would second robleyd's suggestion of a database or perhaps some other tool (Python perhaps, going from what I have read about it?). The potential for error in a spreadsheet with a data set this large is amazing high, especially if there will be more than one user.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
hepburn94

Post by hepburn94 »

Any chance you would be able to direct me to how to set-up the database? I have never used that and this might help me. Thanks!