Manual update only?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Bald Eagle

Manual update only?

Post by Bald Eagle »

I was wondering if there was any way to enter a standard formula in a sheet that auto-updates,

BUT

have a designated cell that only updates its contents when manually triggered.

Yes, I understand the first, obvious question will be "How will that work?"
I was thinking something like it would only update the cell contents on pressing [F9]

Playing with an idea for "document last edited on: [date]"
or a time elapsed formula using now()

Apologies if this is the dumbest question ever. :knock:
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Manual update only?

Post by RusselB »

A very long time ago I was told that the only dumb question is one that isn't asked.
That remains as true today as it was when I first heard it (I'm thinking about 45-50 years ago).
If you are looking for something that shows when the last time the file was edited, while not 100% accurate, you could reference the last time the file was saved.
I don't know how, but I believe I saw something like that with a macro code. Currently on my phone, so searching the forum is a pain in the a**

As to a time elapsed (using the NOW() function), that is (at best) more complicated.... at worst, impossible.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There is Last modified information in File | Properties on the General tab; this may be of some use to you.
 Edit: This topic has a couple of solutions that rely on macros - perhaps you can use something from there? 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Thanks for the replies,

I didn't have much time to expound upon what I was looking to do with this.
First, let me just say that as much as possible, I'd prefer to stay away from macros, and just use formulas, and so what I want to do is likely not possible.

We have some labels that we print with a lot of information - part no, qty, date, etc. But we're trying to implement some more tracking and accountability.
I wanted to have a cell with initials, but then after a few minutes have that expire, as during the work day frenzy, clearing that cell is overlooked, and so other people may print labels with another's initials, defeating the purpose.
I was hoping to somehow how this cell's contents "expire" so that new initials would have to be consciously and purposefully manually entered / updated.

We also have some forms that get printed, and rather than having today() get updated automatically, I thought it would be convenient to have the last date "held-over" until it got updated.
I know---- all of this can be manually done. "Just enter the date every time" --- except people don't do that.

I'll puzzle over this some more, and see what sorts of work-arounds I can come up with.

Perhaps a check on the manually entered date with a formula flag displaying "THIS IS NOT TODAY'S DATE!"
Or something equally klunky.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7