[Solved] Spreadsheet for daily expenditure

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mdavies

[Solved] Spreadsheet for daily expenditure

Post by mdavies »

Hello

For a long time, I have been entering my daily expenditure into an Open Office Spread Sheet.

I only use the Column to type the day, month and year.

The rows I use to enter the payee, payment method, amount and description of the purchase and at the end of each day, I use the "sum" icon to total the amount of daily expenditure.

The problem I have is that I would like to use the "chart" to create graphs to see the variance and difference in amounts paid to different payees and to make monthly comparisons. I am unable to use chart as all my figures are in the rows, rather than payees being created in columns and the figures entered.

Is there a way to copy and paste my existing figures into a new file and also is there a simple method or program I can use to enter the figures daily where the method or program will automatically do all the work for me and create or update the chart graphs on a dialy basis.

Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apache Open Office 4.15. on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Open Office 4 Spreadsheet for daily expenditure

Post by FJCC »

It would really help to see an example of your data. You can change the payee names (just call them A, B, C, ...) and change the amounts paid. We just need to see the layout. We don't need a lot of data. To upload a file, click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mdavies

Re: OpenOffice 4 Spreadsheet for daily expenditure

Post by mdavies »

Hi FJCC

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

I input the data daily and have done since 1st January 2018 and somedays there can be some 50 entries and other days just a few.

I have attached a sample of Wednesday's entries for to you see how I input the data.

As you can see, I have long gotten into a habit of entering everything horizontally instead of vertically.

I am trying to achieve totals for the whole year for each payee. For example, Royal Mail, I would like to know the total amount spent to date and have a colour chart for all payees so I can see where the most and least expenditure is. To do it manually would take me weeks and I don't have the time so I am hoping you can assist me.

I'm in no rush but would like to know how to convert my existing entries into what I am trying to achieve.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

M Davies
Attachments
Expenditure 2018 Sample.ods
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Apache Open Office 4.15. on Windows 7
MrProgrammer

Re: OpenOffice 4 Spreadsheet for daily expenditure

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
mdavies wrote:I am unable to use chart as all my figures are in the rows, rather than payees being created in columns and the figures entered. Is there a way to copy and paste my existing figures into a new file?
Based on what you provided in the attachment, to swap rows and columns select the data, Edit → Copy, open the new spreadsheet, Edit → Paste Special → Transpose → OK. If your attachment did not represent the actual situation, you can try again, with the understanding that a more complex arrangement may require a significantly more complex solution.
mdavies wrote:is there a simple method or program I can use to enter the figures daily where the method or program will automatically do all the work for me and create or update the chart graphs on a dialy basis?
In my experience charts update automatically as new data is entered. However, you must specify the future data rows when you create the chart. For example, if you have eight rows of data entered (2 through 9) and specify 2 through 9 when you create the chart, it is not updated when you put data in row 10. But if you've entered eight rows of data and specify 2 through 999 when creating the chart, data in row 10 will be charted as soon as you enter it.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).