[Solved] Find and replace advanced

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ger.wat

[Solved] Find and replace advanced

Post by ger.wat »

I want to search for a term then replace everything in the cell it's in with another term.

How would I do that, is it even possible?

jerry
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
RusselB

Re: find and replace advanced

Post by RusselB »

I can't think of how you would do this, except for using the Find & Replace dialog (Ctrl+F) filling in the Find section, leaving the Replace section empty.
Use the Find button to go from one match to the next, and manually enter the new term. If the term is long, maybe put it into an unused cell, them just enter that cell address in the cells where you want the new term to be placed.
You can make changes to your spreadsheet without closing the Find & Replace dialog, but the dialog might go to the background when making the changes to your spreadsheet, especially if the spreadsheet is set for full screen/maximized.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Re: Find and replace advanced

Post by keme »

With regular expression enabled, replacing ".*<term>.*" with the other term should work.

Note that in the search term you would need to "escape" any character which is also a regex operator or special character. Example of characters needing special handling: Period, vertical bar, dollar sign, backslash.
ger.wat

Re: find and replace advanced

Post by ger.wat »

RusselB wrote:...Use the Find button to go from one match to the next, and manually enter the new term. If the term is long, maybe put it into an unused cell, them just enter that cell address in the cells where you want the new term to be placed.
You can make changes to your spreadsheet without closing the Find & Replace dialog, but the dialog might go to the background when making the changes to your spreadsheet, especially if the spreadsheet is set for full screen/maximized.
This is quite helpful, I can work with this, thank you Russel.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10