[Solved] Changing columns in spreadsheets

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dkaplan424

[Solved] Changing columns in spreadsheets

Post by dkaplan424 »

I want to delete a column in the open Office spreadsheet that is near the left of the page. I want to remove all the contents in that dated column and have the other columns that are to the right, move into that space, putting a new, blank column on the far right of the same page. I don't want a new column to extend into a new page so that I can print the SS and keep everything on the same single page. How can I do this without the new column moving into a new page? Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.3 on Mac OSx 10.11.8
FJCC

Re: Changing columns in spreadsheets

Post by FJCC »

You should not have to delete columns to print certain cells on a single page. Select all of the cells you want to print and then select the menu Format -> Print Ranges -> Define. Now select the menu View -> Page Break Preview. The region of cells that will print will be in white and the page numbers will be superimposed. If there is more than one page, go to the menu Format -> Page and choose the Sheet tab. In the Scale section set the Scaling Mode to Fit Print Ranges on Number of Pages and set the number of pages to 1.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
dkaplan424

Post by dkaplan424 »

Thanks so much for your reply. However, I have a Macintosh and none of your suggestions appear on my Mac menus for Open Office. With MS office, I used to delete the earliest dated column to the left and all the other columns would shift to the left, filling in that available column, leaving me with a new, blank column to use for latest newer data. Is there a feature of Open Office that will accomplish this without having to print out additional pages to update my data on a regular basis?

Many thanks for your help.
dkaplan424

Post by dkaplan424 »

I take that back. I did eventually find everything you mentioned. However, when I went to print, it then showed in the preview that I had 6 separate partial pages about tho print. Still pretty confused about how to accomplish what I want on a single page.
dkaplan424

Post by dkaplan424 »

Actually, I have 3 pages to print but would like to just add one column to the far right, eliminating one of the older columns to the left. So, in the past, I would cut that far left column, and then create another current column at the far right of the sheet, and this column would extend throughout all of the 3 pages. Still cannot determine how to do this and print out just the three original pages with the oldest column to the left of the pages gone, and the newest column to the right.

Thanks again.
dkaplan424

Post by dkaplan424 »

I figured it out. I selected the entire column I wanted to get rid of, then selected Delete cells, after all the other columns moved over, filling that deleted column. Then I used the cursor to extend the right side of the last column over one column width, and this then allowed a new column to appear and be included on the original 8x11 sheet, which will print on the far right of each single sheet of the 3 sheets. Thanks for your help.