Can a color spreadsheet be set to print colorless?

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Can a color spreadsheet be set to print colorless?

Postby Strawberrycocoa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 pm

I am building a spreadsheet for use by multiple people in the office to input up work orders. So ease-of-access is important, because it will need to be used by people with all levels of spreadsheet software proficiency.

What I want to do is color-code the cells of the spreadsheet where text will need to be input so peple can just go to the marked areas and input information as needed.

I do not want it to PRINT in color, though, for ink conservation reasons. And I don't want to have to rely on people manually remembering to tic Black and White Printing each time, for user error prevention. I also do not want it to print in such a way that it prints with the color coded areas as shades of gray, as that would possibly make the text more difficult to read for some of my co-workers with vision impairment.

So what I need is for a way to color-code the cells in a way that only applies when looked at while typing, but prints as just black lines and black text on a white background. Is this even possible?
OpenOffice 4.1.5, Windows 7
Strawberrycocoa

Re: Can a color spreadsheet be set to print colorless?

Postby Villeroy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Get a monochrome laser printer. This is the cheapest way of printing anyway.
Without monochrome hardware you can set up an additional printer instance in your system panel and make this instance monochrome. Then you can choose between 2 instances of the same printer device, say "Canon X99" and "Canon X99 mono"
OK, this would print shades of grey. What you want to do requires some kind of reporting.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Strawberrycocoa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Might not be a bad idea to set a printer to default monochrome. That could work in a pinch, Thanks.

I'm unclear what you mean by reporting, do you mean asking Apache to add this feature?
Strawberrycocoa

Postby Zizi64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 pm

If your printer not support the conversion to gray-scale, then you can use a virtual PDF printer software, like the PDF Creator or others:

B_and_W.png

(Sorry for the Hungarian language labels...)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.5; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Strawberrycocoa wrote:Might not be a bad idea to set a printer to default monochrome. That could work in a pinch, Thanks.

I'm unclear what you mean by reporting, do you mean asking Apache to add this feature?

All reporting features are in the database component. Unfortunately 90% of all Calc/Excel users take calculation software as database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Strawberrycocoa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Strawberrycocoa

Postby jeffs12 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 pm

A completely different approach that may, or may not, work for your situation. Instead of using colors, set up protection for all cells on the worksheet EXCEPT those cells where users should enter text and turn off "allow users to select locked cells". Using the TAB key should then progress thru only the editable cells.

And/or, outline cells where data is to be entered with a bolder black line.
AOO 4.1.3 on M$ Windows 7/10
jeffs12

Return to Calc