[Solved] If column E=Admin then add value in column D

Discuss the spreadsheet application
swmwshrk

[Solved] If column E=Admin then add value in column D

Post by swmwshrk »

i am about due for my performance review at work. My last one was not as good as it should have been because no one knew everything I did. I started keeping a log of what I did each day at work, and entering the raw data into a spreadsheet like a log. Here are my columns...

A= Date
B= start time
C= end time
D= Total time
E= Catagory (Selected from a drop down list)

What I want is a formula that will search column e for a given value (IE Administration) then add the value in Column D (same row)to get a total time for Admin tasks. I want to be able to specify the rows to search so I can get results for each day, week, and month. Some days have 2-3 rows others have 20 depending on the number of tasks I undertake.

Eventually I want to take this data and average it across the entire time period. I plan on putting the numbers into a CSV and using pivot tables to generate a report to share with my supervisor. If you know of an easier way to do this, please let me know.
Last edited by swmwshrk on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am very new to excel/calc. What I do know so far is self taught and very limited, I still think formulas are a form of black magic.Please give me step by step instructions, and explain abbreviations. Thank you for your help

Win 7 pro Open Office 4.1.3
MTP
Volunteer

Re: If column E=Admin then add value in column D (same row)

Post by MTP »

SUMIF (wiki page) will do what you want.

Code: Select all

SUMIF(E1:E1000;"Administration";D1:D1000)
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
swmwshrk

Re: If column E=Admin then add value in column D (same row)

Post by swmwshrk »

Exactly what i needed thanks.
I am very new to excel/calc. What I do know so far is self taught and very limited, I still think formulas are a form of black magic.Please give me step by step instructions, and explain abbreviations. Thank you for your help

Win 7 pro Open Office 4.1.3