How to select part of text in cell in spreadsheet?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
openofficedifficult

How to select part of text in cell in spreadsheet?

Post by openofficedifficult »

I have a url in a cell with extra text added. When I select the cell it will select the whole cell and will not let me select part of the cel to for example remove the extra text part or copy/paste that part. I can only select the whole cell and delete it and thn retype what was in there without the part I want to delete or remove to other cell.
So how do I select a part of a cell?

Also the text in the cell is to big to view in the cell and I only see the last bit that is netered there but I want to see the first bit. I tried the align to left feature but it doesn´t help, any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanx!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: How to select part of text in cell in spreadsheet?

Post by FJCC »

When you double click over a location in the cell, the edit cursor should appear within the cell at that location. You can then use your mouse to select text or use the Shift key with the arrow keys to select text.

I don't know how to get only the last part of the text to show in a cell. Can you upload a small file with an example? To upload a file, click Post Reply and then look for the Upload Attachment tab below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
openofficedifficult

Thank you for the reply, the double click is not workign when the text is a url. Also not in the field in the top when the cel is selected it is not possible to edit the text/url and/or the text after the url. I have attached an example. I suspect it is due to an error for the file being transfered from Windows excel format to ods format.
Attachments
example.ods
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The URL is a text field (borrowed from Writer). Text fields have the length of one character. Select this character and call Insert>Hyperlink. The hyperlink dialog pops up where you can change the URL and the caption.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
openofficedifficult

ok thanks, no way to just remove the hyperlink and then be able to double click and select the part of text I want to select?
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

The conversion of a piece of text into a URL textfield is reversible. If you remove direct formatting (Ctrl+M by default) from the cell containing the link, its anchor (representation) is shown again as ordinary text, and also accessible in the above described way. The link functionality is removed then, of course.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
openofficedifficult

Thanx, its just strange that the size of the text jumps to 11 instead of 18 which I have for the whole page.
procadman

Post by procadman »

I have a similar issue.
In a spreadsheet, I created several hyperlinks from scratch. They link to other areas of the same spreadsheet.
They show as buttons and worked fine until the spreadsheet grew.

I can find no way to modify the hyperlinks.

Selecting them only activates them.

None of the instructions in the "help" section work either:
No menu comes up with an "edit hyperlink" option,
They will not drag to the hyperlink toolbar.

You can't do anything with them, once created, other than delete them with [CTRL X].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

If these hyperlinks based on the HYPERLINK() function, you should be able to navigate to the cell with the arrow keys and then press F2 to edit the cell. If they were made with the menu Insert -> Hyperlink (or the equivalent tool bar button), you can navigate to the cell with the arrow keys and then select the menu Insert -> Hyperlink to bring up the dialog to edit the link.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
procadman

Post by procadman »

Note Hyperlink Toolbar while cursor is under button
ods_issue.png (9.63 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Navigating with arrow keys only works if the hyperlink is in "text" form.
Once converted to a button "F2" only sees an empty cell.
Note Hyperlink Toolbar while cursor is over text
Note Hyperlink Toolbar while cursor is over text
ods_issue2.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
ods_issue.png (9.63 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

openofficedifficult wrote:Thanx, its just strange that the size of the text jumps to 11 instead of 18 which I have for the whole page.
Use styles.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice