[Solved] Find all digits in string & paste to separate cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
cul

[Solved] Find all digits in string & paste to separate cells

Post by cul »

I have a string of data: /sell/cart/?add=621449007&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=621185376&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=610796287&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=602499243&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=602252521&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=596509065&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=595216785&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=582606808&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=571854349&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=527007820&ev=atc_br

I want to extract all the digits (they're SKUs) into separate cells. I'm using =split(C4, "=&", true) which splits the numbers into every 3rd cell but returns stuff I don't need in the other 2 cells. The string can be any length. 0 SKUs, 5 SKUs, 150 SKUs. Is there a more efficient way?

Thanks!
Last edited by cul on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice on Windows 7 (sometimes Mac)
RusselB

Re: Find all digits in string and paste to separate cells

Post by RusselB »

First off, can you please verify that you are using Open Office, and not some other port (eg: LibreOffice, NeoOffice)? The reason I ask, is that my version of Open Office (4.1.4) does not have a SPLIT function in Calc.
It may also be that your version of Calc, if you are using 3.1, contains functions (in this case SPLIT) that later versions no longer support.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
cul

Post by cul »

Apologies, this was actually done in google sheets because I'm using IMPORTXML. I thought the SPLIT tool was universal. I'm going to post a new topic for what I'm directly trying to achieve. I'm not sure calc can do live IMPORTXML so I'll read around and start a new topic if I get stuck.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

@RusselB: <edit>As in his other post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92297 "cul" obviously referred to Google Sheets.</edit>
There is no SPLIT() in LibO Calc (and also not in Excel afaik). The related TEXTJOIN() was meanwhile implemented in LibO, but the corresponding SPLIT() is still missing. It is, however, rather simple to write a custom function for the purpose as AOO BASIC has a well usable Split() function since the stone age.

@cul: Would you explain please, what the third parameter of your SPLIT() (true placed there in your use case) is supposed to accomplish? (And: Use the semicolon for delimiting parametersin Calc!)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

cul wrote:I want to extract all the digits (they're SKUs) into separate cells.
The string can be any length. 0 SKUs, 5 SKUs, 150 SKUs.
The requests are incongruous. If you want to have the "separate cells" in a row in Calc the maximum number of usable cells is 1024. If you consider to use a column, the number is 1048576. Thats much but clearly finite.
However, Calc will not handle use cases with many thousands of extractable parts with reasonable efficiency, even if you resort to custom code for the missing SPLIT() function. Anyway a string supplied by a cell reference cannot be longer than 65535 characters...

If you can assure a maximum number of, say, 200 extractable parts e.g. you may experiment with the following code:

Code: Select all

REM  *****  BASIC  *****

Option Explicit

Function getPartsOfBetweenAnd(pText, pLeft, pRight, Optional pMinCount As Long, Optional pPH As String)
REM This version assumes a syntax for the parts to recognize that does NOT accept
REM the delimiters pLeft or pRight INSIDE of one of the parts.
REM Let me call this an anti-greedy behaviour. The shortest parts left delimited by
REM pLeft and right by pRight are accepted and cut out. Empty parts allowed. 
REM Additional delimiters are disregarded.
REM In case of conflict an occurrence of pLeft will be accepted even if a right part of it
REM is usable to recognize an occurrence of pRight.
REM For usage with output to a locked array it may be necessary to allocate trailing cells
REM only needed if a changing input gives more parts. Use pMinCount in this case. 
  Dim parts, u As Long, n As Long, j As Long, h As Long
If IsMissing(pMinCount) Then pMinCount = 1
If IsMissing(pPH) Then pPH = "<none>"
parts    = Split(pText, pLeft)
u        = Ubound(parts)
n        = 0
For j = 0 To u
  h        = Instr(parts(j), pRight)
  If h>0 Then 
    parts(n) = Mid(parts(j), 1, h - 1)
    n        = n+1
  End If
  parts(j) = "" 
  REM No conflict! The original parts(0) cannot match. 
Next j
u        = n -1
If u<pMinCount-1 Then u = pMinCount-1
Redim Preserve parts(0 To u) 
For j = n To u
  parts(j) = pPH
Next j
getPartsOfBetweenAnd = parts
End Function
How the efficiency compares with google's stroke of genius, I cannot tell.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

cul wrote:I have a string of data:
/sell/cart/?add=621449007&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=621185376&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=610796287&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=602499243&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=602252521&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=596509065&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=595216785&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=582606808&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=571854349&ev=atc_br/sell/cart/?add=527007820&ev=atc_br
I want to extract all the digits (they're SKUs) into separate cells.
If the strings are in A2 A3 A4 …, in B2 put =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2;"/sell/cart/?add=";"");"&ev=atc_br";CHAR(9)) and fill the formula down the column. Select column B by clicking the column header. Data → Text to Columns → OK. As previously advised you'll have trouble with more than about a thousand SKUs per string. For additional assistance attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
cul

Re: [Solved]Find all digits in string & paste to separate ce

Post by cul »

Thanks MrP, thank you too to Lupp. No serious danger of 1000+ SKUs (unfortunately), so this will work.

There is technically a possibility of 8 or 10 digit SKUs but since I didn't mention that this definitely solves the problem for right now.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

MrProgrammer's solution will work no matter the length of the SKU, even if they are different lengths
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
cul

Post by cul »

I must have misunderstood what CHAR(9) did, thanks, it does work on all SKU lengths.

edit> I see, CHAR(9) = display tab. I thought it was a counting formula.