[Solved] Will a Windows-created .ods file open in Linux?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
snowman123

[Solved] Will a Windows-created .ods file open in Linux?

Post by snowman123 »

Im considering installing Linux and working there instead of Windows, I would use something easy like Xubuntu, but the thing is, I don't know how I would go about porting my calc files on Windows into Linux.

Do I need to do anything or they are compatible with Linux's Openoffice and they will open as usual??
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.11 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Will a windows-created .ods calc file open in Linux?

Post by RoryOF »

They should open without problems. If you have text files, or files where the formatting of the text is important, you should ensure the correct fonts )those used in the documents on the Windows computer) are installed on the linux system.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Unlike the "competition", OpenOffice and LibreOffice have identical support across all platforms. If you can use the file in one version of Calc on Windows, it will work on the same calc version for linux, BSD, Solaris, Linux and OS-X.

There is one limitation: If you use platform specific plugins, the spreadsheet will also be platform specific. I have seen some "professional" solutions utilizing ActiveX modules, which will only work right on Windows. Quoting Wikipedia ActiveX article: " In principle, ActiveX is not dependent on Microsoft Windows operating systems, but in practice most ActiveX controls only run on Windows."
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
snowman123

Post by snowman123 »

Wow that's awesome. I was already fearing the nightmare of having to redo my entire spreadsheet on linux.
RoryOF wrote:They should open without problems. If you have text files, or files where the formatting of the text is important, you should ensure the correct fonts )those used in the documents on the Windows computer) are installed on the linux system.

Is there any way to get a list of all the fonts being used in a project?

As far as I remember I never used special fonts but just to be sure the document is 1:1 in linux.
OpenOffice 4.11 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may find it useful to search for and install ttf-mscorefonts-installer on your linux system. This will provide most of the "standard" fonts, although linux distros often provide metrically equivalent fonts (of different names).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS