Hidden Cell message when merging cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
annschunior

Hidden Cell message when merging cells

Post by annschunior »

I'm trying to merge cells in a spread sheet. I select the columns and use the merge cell command. I get a message that asks "Should the contents of the hidden cells be moved into the first cell?" As far as I know, I don't have any hidden cells. Whether I answer yes or no, the result is a column with no content at all. How do I get the cells to merge?
Open Office 4.1.3 on Mac OSX 10.9.5
FJCC

Re: Hidden Cell message when merging cells

Post by FJCC »

What that message should say is "Should the content of the cells that are about to be hidden be moved into the first cell?" If you merge cells A1 and B1, then B1 becomes hidden. What exactly is in the cells before you merge them? Upon merging, you should end up with a cell displaying either the content of the top left cell of the merged range, if you answer No to the message, or the concatenated content of all of the merged cells, if you answer Yes.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
annschunior

Post by annschunior »

It says just what I quoted it as saying, and it produces one large cell with nothing in it. I'm trying to merge two column by selecting them both. Does that make a difference? There's text in both.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Mac OSX 10.9.5
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Here is how it works for me:
Select the cells and choose Format | Merge Cells
Select the cells and choose Format | Merge Cells
The result if Yes is selected.
The result if Yes is selected.
The result if No is selected
The result if No is selected
Which is as FJCC said: it seems there may be a slight difference in the wording of the notice between differing versions of AOO - but the outcome is the same.
 Edit: Just noticed you said "select columns": if you do that, the text will appear at the bottom of the merged cell range, way down at Row 1048576 which is why the cell appears to have nothing in it until you go to the bottom of the sheet. 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

In addition to robleyd's helpful pictures, I want to mention that merging two columns will hide millions of cells to produce a single visible cell. I have seen this cause a spreadsheet to respond very slowly. Do you want to merge pairs of cells in the successive rows of neighboring columns or merge two whole columns into a single cell?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is a huge misunderstanding. Merging cells is just a visual effect to make a group of labels appear as one, for instance

14-21 y
M | F

The main label for the age category is in a merged column label visually grouping the 2 separate male/female column labels.
The displayed text "14-21 y" belongs to the left cell above the "M". The right cell above the "F" becomes hidden.

If you are going to merge a range of cells and there is some content in the cells to be hidden, the program asks how to deal with the values of the cells that are going to be hidden. Either the cell values become hidden or they are concatenated with the text of the visible cell. The program will insert a space character between the merged text.
The visula effect of merging for a more pleasant layout is the one and only purpose of merging cells, and the concatenation is just a little side effect.

If you want to concatenate multiple cell values just use the concatenation operator & or the CONCATENATE function.
A1: John
B1: Doe
=A1&B2 --> JohnDoe
=CONCATENATE(A1 ; B1) --> JohnDoe

=A1 & " " & B2 --> John Doe
=CONCATENATE(A1 ; " " ; B1) --> John Doe

These formulas concatenate A2 and B2, A3 and B3 etc. when you copy the formula cells downwards and they concatenate B1 and C1, C1 and D1, D1 and E1 etc. when you copy the cells to the right.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice