Microsoft Excel Problem

Discuss the spreadsheet application
rustysinclair

Microsoft Excel Problem

Post by rustysinclair »

I recently purchased a new HP desktop computer and immediately installed OpenOffice 4.5.1. Whenever I try to save a spreadsheet, Windows saves it in Excel format. How do I make the computer allow me to always save OpenOffice Calc files in OpenOffice format that will open OpenOffice when I double-click on them?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Microsoft Excel Problem

Post by FJCC »

I suspect that your problem is not that the file format is wrong but that the default application for the format is wrong. Right click on a Calc file icon and select Properties. Does the full file name end in .ods? If so, the file format is correct. If the file is being displayed with an Excel icon, it means the default application for the .ods file format is Excel. You can change this by clicking in the Windows button, selecting Settings (the gear icon) and then choosing the the Apps category. Choose Default Apps and then click the link for Choose Default Apps by File Type. There will be a long list of file extensions on the left. Scroll down to the ods file extension and assign Calc to it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Re: Microsoft Excel Problem

Post by RoryOF »

Also, if it saves by default using .xls format (those three letters showing as part of file name), go to /Tools /Options /Load-Save L General tab and under "Document type" check that "Spreadsheet" (select using the dropdown) is set to "Always Save as" ODF spreadsheet (again, select from the dropdown).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS