Autosave files automatically replaced, where do they go?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
scantman

Autosave files automatically replaced, where do they go?

Post by scantman »

So. Calc froze as I was "Saving as", but hey, no worries because I selected autosave every 5 minutes. YAY! So I reopen Calc, and it does the autorecovery thing, unsuccessfully. Unable to export. So it opens the ORIGINAL FILE, and then autosaves the original file, and as I click over to my explorer window in the backup folder, I watch the new autosave pop up and replace the autosaved file that I needed. What a joke.

Anyways, when an autosave file gets replaced, is it gone forever? Why doesn't it keep more of the autosaved files before pushing them off the back end with a new one?
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on windows 8.1
RusselB

Re: autosave files automatically replaced, where do they go?

Post by RusselB »

While I don't know the answer to your last question, technically the file that is replaced might be recoverable using a program like Recuva, which has the ability to recover files that have been "deleted" (ie: don't show in a listing), but also aren't in the Windows trash can. These files might be able to be restored do to the fact that a disc write is in a different location on the disc, even if the filename is the same.
The situation you mention is one of the reasons I use my Dropbox account as my default save directory. Dropbox maintains "snapshots" (aka copies) of each file the next time that file is accessed...even if there are no changes to it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.