Why don't recently named/saved files appear?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
BenB666

Why don't recently named/saved files appear?

Post by BenB666 »

Why don't recently named/saved files appear in the Start menu? Using Classic Shell for Win 8.1, latest OpenOffice. Have reinstalled 3x. I have one called 12-05-17 I have opened & saved 5x but it won't populate
Attachments
Untitled.png
OpenOffice on 4.1.4 on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Re: Why don't recently named/saved files appear?

Post by keme »

I never used Win 8/8.1 much. For what my memory is worth...

Addressing your question:
I don't know for sure why, but I suspect that the API interface for updating the Windows recent files may have changed, and OpenOffice wasn't notified...

Possible workaround:
If I recall correctly, entries will populate the Windows-menu "recent files" list if you open the file from an Explorer interface (its file manager window which you get when you press windows-key + E, or from a "desktop mode"search). If you open the file from inside OpenOffice it only updates the File - Recent documents list.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

BenB666 wrote:Why don't recently named/saved files appear in the Start menu? Using Classic Shell for Win 8.1
That looks like a Windows 8 problem - W8 is not recording the saved AOO file. I doubt AOO needs to do anything to appear in the Start menu list - W8 does it.

Open AOO. File > Recent documents ..., lists the last 10.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Support for the Windows 7/8/10 jump lists hasn't been implemented for OpenOffice. Documents opened and saved from the File menu in OpenOffice don't appear on the jump lists. Documents opened by double-clicking in File Explorer are added to the jump lists.

Issue 122809 - Windows 7, 8, 10 - Jump list "recent document" support
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04