[Solved] Strange behaviour of spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
arnoldr

[Solved] Strange behaviour of spreadsheet

Post by arnoldr »

I have a multipage spreadsheet which I am using to keep track of applicants to a golf tournament. I am trying to generate a new page which will list the players alphabetically along with the information about where to start.

The information is available on a page labelled "entrants", where the names are in columns A and B and the start location is in column L. Using the formula in the new page of =entrants.A# and =entrants.B# works as expected, the names appear in each cell. However when I enter the formula =entrants.L# for the start location, the result in each cell is simply the text of the formula.

I have checked the format of the cells where I placed the formula and nothing appears strange. Can anyone tell me what the problem could possibly be and how I can fix it?

Thank you,

Arnold Roth
 Edit: Email removed; Hagar, Moderator. 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Ooo 3.3
Windows XP
robleyd

Re: strange behaviour of spreadsheet

Post by robleyd »

I enter the formula =entrants.L# for the start location, the result in each cell is simply the text of the formula.
If the format of that cell(s) was set as Text then this will happen. If this is the case, one solution is to change the cell format to General and re-enter the formulae, as they won't magically change from Text to Formula when you change the cell format.
 Edit: I suggest you remove your email address from your post, unless you want to receive lots of emails from Nigerian princes and people offering you 'enhancement' medications :D
You might also consider upgrading your version of Office to the latest version. 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
arnoldr

Re: Strange behaviour of spreadsheet

Post by arnoldr »

Thanks, David. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the cause of my problem. The format on the cells on the page I'm trying to create are default (not TEXT) and the cells I'm trying to copy
are as well. Thanks for removing my email address. I put that there thinking I would get replies by email and that my email address had recently changed.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks again.
Ooo 3.3
Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

menu:Tools>Options>Calc>View: Show formulas = OFF
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
arnoldr

Post by arnoldr »

I solved the problem. Deleted the new sheet and replaced it with another. Then everything worked OK. I don't know why but at least I can proceed. Thanks again for the help.
Ooo 3.3
Windows XP