[Solved] Problem with Sort Function on spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
chookylynn

[Solved] Problem with Sort Function on spreadsheet

Post by chookylynn »

I have recently (yesterday) downloaded the newest version of OpenOffice, and encountered a serious problem with the "sort" function in the spreadsheet. Very simply, when I try to sort it scrambles my information - matches the wrong name with the wrong address etc. Not happy, Jan! Can I fix it or do you need to?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Problem with Sort Function on spreadsheet

Post by robleyd »

I'm guessing you have at least a column with names and an adjacent column with addresses. If you want to sort them and keep the relationship, one way is to select all related columns and then choose Data | Sort and just select the name column in Sort by.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Calc is not a database. It is an ordinary spreadsheet program. Spreadsheet programs sort selected cells. If you do not select a range of cells it sorts the adjacent content cells around the active cell by the active cell's column.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
chookylynn

Post by chookylynn »

I selected the full range of cells, and chose the column to sort by. I have done this before, and know how it works - except that on the new version, it doesn't work. Instead of keeping the rows together, it throws them in random order, even duplicating an entry that was not duplicated in the original.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

As you didn't mention you had tried selecting all the columns, I suggested that as a possible solution, not intending to offend.

I wonder if you may have an issue with your user profile? Try this:

Delete or rename your OpenOffice user profile.

In Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar (not the search engine) and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder, say to user.old. Start OpenOffice.

When you restart OpenOffice, you should be prompted for name/initials on next startup of OO.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, perhaps you could upload a sample document that shows the problem you are having. [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
chookylynn

Post by chookylynn »

Hi David,
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound abrupt. I wasn't offended, just frustrated. I'm beginning to wonder whether maybe it is this particular file that has somehow become corrupted - I tried creating a sample file to see what is happening, and it worked perfectly on it. Then I tried copying the data from the original and pasting it into a new file, and it had the same problem as the original. ME NO KNOW! (Throwing hands up in air.) I'll try what you suggest.
blessings,
Lynn
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If sorting works OK in a test file, then the problem is likely not general and resetting the user profile probably won't make any difference.

It does sound, from what you are saying, as though the problem may be specific to the one file; in this case uploading the problem file may be the way for us to try and track the problem.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
chookylynn

Post by chookylynn »

Hi David. Found the problem - it was my fault <blushing>. The spreadsheet is for entries in a writing competition, and where an individual had entered twice I took a shortcut with the contact details by using = and the previous cells. Totally forgot about that when I did the sort, so now of course the cells being equalled were not the ones that belonged to that entrant. Phew! Thanks for your efforts.