[Solved] Operators not working on 4.1.4

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Kjotleik

[Solved] Operators not working on 4.1.4

Post by Kjotleik »

Hello, Forum.

Windows 10 Pro / OpenOffice 4.1.4
Just tried to install v4.1.4 (over 4.1.2). Both installers are eng-GB.

After install operators don't function in Calc.
Tweet with picture here:
https://twitter.com/Kjotleik/status/932384570141487105

After removing and re-installing 4.1.2, the issue is the same.
Now, operators don't work in 4.1.2 either.
I had no problems in 4.1.2 before upgrading to 4.1.4.

PS!
Disregard my signature. I had to match one of the examples exactly as I couldn't register on the site with the correct info of "4.1.4 on Win 10 Pro."

Help appreciated, as I'm currently without a spreadsheet. And I'm in a REALLY bad mood.
Hopefully some of you can lighten it by giving me the hints I need to solve this.
Last edited by RoryOF on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10 Pro
FJCC

Re: Operators not working on 4.1.4

Post by FJCC »

Try renaming your user profile. To do this, first shut down OpenOffice. Open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
in the address bar near the top. That will take you to a folder that contains a folder named user. Rename that folder to user_old and restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. Does Calc work now?

By the way, since your tweet mentioned a lack of email support, there is a mail list for user support. See here
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Kjotleik

Post by Kjotleik »

FJCC wrote:Does Calc work now?
By the way, since your tweet mentioned a lack of email support, there is a mail list for user support. See here
Thanks for a super-quick answer.

You may have misunderstood me a bit?

I can open Calc. I can use Calc. But operators [plus and minus, haven't tried multiplication and division] doesn't work. Gets error-message (509) if I even try to make an operation.
Funny thing is, just doing [=E4] gives the value in E4. Doing [=E4+E5] gives error:509.

And, yes, I didn't find the e-mail support first time around. My head was busy thinking dark and evil thoughts about a life without spreadsheets...

PS!
There is no way that the username I give when installing has any impact on whether or not Calc-operators work. That would be the most illogical of all illogical things I've ever come across...
...but I will do as you suggested. IF it works I'll report back in ten minutes. If I haven't, it hasn't.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10 Pro
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

A typical cause of weird behavior in OpenOffice is a corrupted user profile. Your profile contains a lot more information than just your user name.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Kjotleik

Post by Kjotleik »

I can only assume that the missing functions have the same root-cause as the operators not working.
But I could be completely wrong, of course.

See attachment (jpg-file). Missing function-names in the Function-Wizard.

I've Re-installed the 4.1.4 (en-GB) version.
No visible changes from 4.1.2.

Since it's now close to 2am here in Europe, I'm going to have to check back tomorrow for more hints and tips from you.
I'll try to fix this tomorrow, if I've gotten any good suggestions as to how.
Attachments
Missing Functions in the Function Wizard
Missing Functions in the Function Wizard
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10 Pro
Kjotleik

Post by Kjotleik »

FJCC wrote:A typical cause of weird behavior in OpenOffice is a corrupted user profile. Your profile contains a lot more information than just your user name.
Thanks for the suggestion, then.
I noticed it had changed a lot of settings after re-naming the "user" folder.
After confirming that it didn't fix my issues, I deleted the new one and re-named the old one back.

Thank you for NOT recommending that I delete it, but re-name it instead.
You are a good and caring citizen.

Tomorrow I'll check back for more suggestions (if any).
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10 Pro
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

More information on the user profile, if you are interested: [Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile

It might be helpful to upload a sample Calc file that shows the problem you are encountering: [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.

Perhaps when you have a moment you could see How to update your signature and update your OS and AOO versions to help us better help you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Same problem, though worded differently, is here
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

A shot in the dark: Did you install in the default folder, or have you changed the path?

Most likely you have a 64-bit system where you need to install 32-bit software in "Program Files (x86)" (or "Programfiler (x86)" if you have a Norwegian Windows install).

When software is installed in alternate folders (e.g. 32-bit programs in the 64-bit designated "Program Files"), it will often run but functionality which depends on specific 32- or 64-bit runtime libraries (dotnet, java) does not work. If you must install to alternate folder, see this article for more guidance (scroll down for Win7 info. Nothing Win10-specific there, so you may want to search elsewhere ...). I suspect that there is a dotnetfx permission setting you can insert in the registry to allow software from your alternate folder to use the 32-bit dotnet library, but I don't have specific knowledge, nor the time or motivation to find out.
Last edited by keme on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please try the attached file; it uses the basic arithmetic operations of Calc. If it doesn't work, then we have localised the problem to your computer/OO installation.
Attachments
Arith.ods
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Kjotleik

Post by Kjotleik »

keme wrote:A shot in the dark: Did you install in the default folder, or have you changed the path?

Most likely you have a 64-bit system where you need to install 32-bit software in "Program Files (x86)" (or "Programfiler (x86)" if you have a Norwegian Windows install).
Um... oh... well... :crazy:

Naturally, I had changed the path to install it at D:\Programs\OpenOffice. I removed the program, and re-installed it in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. It now works flawlessly. Operators in action and function-wizard good to go.

Your shots in the dark have so far given a 100% accuracy-rating as far as I am concerned. I'm sure not even William Tell would've been able to do that! :super:

(And naturally I'm using an English language install for my OS. The Norwegian install has given me too many problems up through the years. Especially C:\Programfiler (x86))

T H A N K S!
I'm happy again!
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10 Pro