[Solved] Column summation icon

Discuss the spreadsheet application
delsur

[Solved] Column summation icon

Post by delsur »

Sorry in advance that I don't know the right words to describe what I want

In Calc, above the spreadsheet I have three rows of what I'll call functions
The top says File Edit View ...
Next one has icons for New Open Save ...
The next has an icon for 'styles and formatting', the word Arial in a white box....

Please, what are those rows called and how can I change them? (I think I might be able to get them to disappear but I know I wouldn't be able to figure out how to get them back.)

Years ago, on one of those rows I had the Greek letter sigma?? (looks a bit like an E) and I could click on that and then somehow magically get the numbers in a column added up.
It could be I highlighted the numbers I wanted added before clicking the the 'sigma' sign. I also don't recall how it was determined which cell got the total. I just remember I had to make sure I'd left space for it?

This seems to me a very basic function for a spreadsheet but I can never find it.
Please help me find it and put it some place prominent on all my spreadsheets.

Thanks.

Opened a spreadsheet again after reading Mr. Programmer's response and I suddenly saw Sigma in plain sight right above the A B C column markings. Thanks for helping me see what was right in front of me! Next time I can't find it, I'll come back to this post. ;)
Last edited by delsur on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home Premium
RusselB

Re: Column summation icon

Post by RusselB »

The row at the top (File, Edit, View, etc.) is a menu system. The rows below that with the icons are Toolbars.
The Toolbars are editable by right clicking on the toolbar, but not on an actual icon, and selecting Customize toolbar.

As the the Sigma (which is the correct term), I don't know where it is, as I can't find it on my system, yet several people have made posts regarding the usage of it, so they do have it.
The usage for working with the Sigma, to my understanding, is to highlight the cells you wanted to sum, press the Sigma and the result would go into the next cell on the row (if highlighting a row) or column (for column highlight)

Again, this is based on my understanding of how it works, not based on my own experience, as I don't have the character (nor do I think I would use it, if I did have it)
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

delsur wrote:Years ago, on one of those rows I had the Greek letter sigma?? … Please help me find it and put it some place prominent on all my spreadsheets.
View → Formula Bar

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
delsur

Post by delsur »

Mr. Programmer, thanks for help with terminology and info on how to edit the toolbars.

Your description of how Sigma works has jogged my memory.

Hopefully someone will come along to tell me where to find Sigma and how to add it to one of my toolbars.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home Premium
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In Calc turn on /View /Formula Bar. I've never seen it in Writer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
delsur

Re: SOLVED Column summation icon

Post by delsur »

Thanks, RoryOF!

I see it now.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home Premium