How to Download and open templates for Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Mjones3411

How to Download and open templates for Calc

Post by Mjones3411 »

I have downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.4 for Windows 10 and am trying to download a Checkbook register so that I can copy my current checkbook from Excel to OpenOffice and then cancel my subscription to Microsoft office. I get the template downloaded but cannot open anything that has the Checkbook register in it. I need help. I am new to OpenOffice. :crazy:

Thank you

Mjones3411
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: How to Download and open templates for Calc

Post by robleyd »

G'day, and welcome to the community forum.

This topic may help you. If not, please let us know what you have done and what happened as a result.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Mjones3411

Post by Mjones3411 »

When I download the template I get a bunch of files like Configuration and others but none of them have the Checkbook register in them. When I tried to import there was nothing to import. I do not have any idea what I am doing with this.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It sounds like Windows is helpfully unpacking the template for you. This shouldn't happen, but this is Windows after all :)

You should have downloaded a file with an .ots extension which should be in whatever directory is set as your browser's download directory. See if you can find that file - you may have to tell Windows to show file extensions - then you can use the actions in the topic I linked to get your template into OpenOffice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Mjones3411

Post by Mjones3411 »

The only file name extensions that appear are .xml and .rdf. What am I doing wrong? When I have downloaded the template I have saved it as Checkbook register, I have just hit save and I have opened it. None of these seem to work.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The only file name extensions that appear are .xml and .rdf
What exactly are you doing to make them "appear"? From where did you download the template - the exact location. I looked on the OpenOffice extensions site https://templates.openoffice.org/ and found 17 extensions matching the search term checkbook - I guess you got one of those?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Mjones3411

Post by Mjones3411 »

I am downloading the template to my downloads folder and all I do to see the extensions it in the show/hide area click on the show file extensions. I have a checkbook-register.zip but when I extract everything I still do not get the template.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I have a checkbook-register.zip
Aha, now we have the bit of info we need. I suspect that you in fact downloaded a file called checkbook-register.ots and helpful Windows Edge or whatever browser has renamed it to checkbook-register.zip.

Rename the file back to checkbook-register.ots and then see the steps in the link I gave you above to install it as a template.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15