Help.. Wrap Text is messed up!

Discuss the spreadsheet application
botchbud

Help.. Wrap Text is messed up!

Post by botchbud »

Ah! Please help I am pressed for time and couldn't find anything through the search that i was looking for.

On the right side of the screen under properties it used to show 3 different options for wrapping text. Now that is gone and i cannot wrap it in the desired way. It had an option where you could just cut it off so that the text wasn't leaking rightways in to the other cells. Now suddenly I cant find it anywhere! I dont know if i clicked it off or removed it by accident or something! Someone please help me?

I put a fire symbol cuz I'm so angry like i dont know is this my fault or what's goingon??

:alarm:

Thank you in advance for any support
openOffice 4.1.3 on Win 10
RoryOF

Re: Help.. Wrap Text is messed up!

Post by RoryOF »

If there is an entry "Alignment" on the righthand Properties panel click on the + sign in front of it and the various alignment options will be displayed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You might also have to select the menu View -> Sidebar if the sidebar has disappeared entirely.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
botchbud

Post by botchbud »

Thanks for the response. I do have that already but I am not trying to align I am trying to wrap text in a specific way . There used to be 3 options (that had their own buttons) of how to wrap the text. one of them was to cut the text off at the right side (not based on alignment)

The reason its important is because i need to be able to later on double click the cell and see everything line by line and not in some wierd wrapped shape. The thing where it cuts it off at the right side helps me with that.
botchbud

Post by botchbud »

and just to clarify for the above yes i have the sidebar and yes i have the plus button opened, what i dont have is my wrap text buttons. the only option is Wrap Text. It doesn't have the 3 options like it used to, including the one that cuts the words off at the right side of the cells
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

That's strange.

Is anybody reading this thread sure there ever was a setting to prevent the overflow of text content from one cell into blank adjacent cells to the left and/or right side depending on the horizontal alignment?

I was using many versions of our software (released under different brands since 1997) and never knew such a setting. There are questions concerning the prevention of text overflow also in the ask.libreoffice site (https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... -overflow/, https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... ther-cell/ e.g.), but no positive answer to my knowledge.

Or did I misunderstand the intention of the OQ completely due to my poor English? Please help me now to understand this.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I agree, I have never seen a button to prevent text overflow. The only option I see in the sidebar is to wrap the text.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
botchbud

Post by botchbud »

That's what's driving me even more crazy. The program has been open on my computer for days, and I've always had the option, and suddenly it's gone. That's why when i went searching online and couldnt find it anywhere I was like... WTF???? I didn't dream this, I've been using it for weeks. Now suddenly GONE!

Note: it may have ALSO been somewhere such as the top bar that is usually right above where you input your cell info and it tells you the cells and what not. This is so wierd and creepy. It's like I've been living a dream. I even told people at work about it last week. I said, "so, is there that option for word wrapping where it allows you to clip it at the right side, like in OpenOffice?". (EDIT: at work we only have MS OFFICE)

Spooky. Please someone know what im referring to hahah
botchbud

Post by botchbud »

It was literally 3 buttons that were specifically wrapping options. not alignment or anything. It even said "wrap in such and such a way" when you hovered over it. Creepy I tells you!
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

botchbud wrote:It was literally 3 buttons that were specifically wrapping options. not alignment or anything. It even said "wrap in such and such a way" when you hovered over it. Creepy I tells you!
Never saw the particular functionality mentioned here. You can emulate that "no bleed" behavior if you set wrapping on and specify fixed row height. Then you will get a red arrowhead at the edge of the cell, signifying "more content". Other than alignment settings, I do not know about similar functionality.

Did you see those buttons when you opened a particular file, or would they also appear when you started with a blank spreadsheet?
In other words: Might the buttons and related functionality be connected to a particular spreadsheed/template. (Macros and other customization can be saved as part of a file.)

Are you certain that you used Calc, and not e.g. Excel? (No offense intended. Just trying to explicitly eliminate all pitfalls.)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Or were you using a table in Writer, rather than using Calc?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS