Locked file wont open

Discuss the spreadsheet application
bardwells

Locked file wont open

Post by bardwells »

Document ...' is locked for editing by yourself on a different system since 17.10.2017.
options to 'open document read-only, or ignore own file locking and open the document for editing.'
regardless of choice, Open Office stops responding... and of course, it is my 2017 bookkeeping.
I have deleted OO and reinstalled (same version) no luck.
OpenOffice 4.3.1 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: locked file wont open

Post by FJCC »

First try deleting the lock file associated with your document. To do that, close OpenOffice. Make hidden files visible, if they are not already, by opening the folder containing your document, selecting the View tab and selecting Hidden Items. Then look for files whose name starts with .~lock. Delete those files and restart OpenOffice. Does your document open now.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
bardwells

Post by bardwells »

~lock file keeps reappearing. I have deleted and emptied trash and it still returns
OpenOffice 4.3.1 on Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Yes, I should have explained that. The .~lock file signals that the file is in use. It should be created when you open the document and deleted when you close the document. If it is not deleted upon closing and exists before you open the file the next time, then the operating system thinks that the document is already open and issues a warning. If .~lock files are routinely left after you close the document, then OpenOffice is consistently not exiting the document correctly. If it happens just once, then something glitched but it isn't a big concern.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.