Protected cells that allow data input

Discuss the spreadsheet application
qm31

Protected cells that allow data input

Post by qm31 »

I have a spreadsheet that uses conditional formatting in many of the cells.

The problem I have ia that individuals input data (dates) into these cells and it appears inadvertently delete the conditional formatting.

Is there a method of protecting the cell formatting while still allowing individuals to input data?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Protected cells that allow data input

Post by Zizi64 »

Typing the data into a cell will not delete the formatting pproperties. When you want Pate some data into the preformatted cells, yo must use the Paste Special - Unformatted text option.

And you can delete only the data. Configure the Del function:
Delete content.png
Do not use the Ctrl-X on the formatted cells.
The BackSpace button deletes only the content in my AOO 4.1.2 version.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
qm31

Re: Protected cells that allow data input

Post by qm31 »

Hello Zizi64

Thanks for your prompt reply and answers.

The problem I am facing is that someone has probably entered wrong data and deleted, without configuring the delete operation, and has deleted the formatting along with the input data. What I would like to do, if it is possible, is to 'lock' the formatting hence the question 'Is there a method of protecting the cell formatting while still allowing individuals to input data?'.

I don't have control over the data input so if an individual deletes, and the delete is configured to 'delete all', then the individual inadvertently clears the formatting as well.
Perhaps, I should simplify the question to 'How can conditional formatting be protected to ensure it cannot be deleted'.

Thanks for your help so far.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10