Opening .dif files in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
PandoraTim

Opening .dif files in Calc

Post by PandoraTim »

hello everyone,

I'm using Open Office at work on an old desktop running Windows 7. This OS is necessary because we have a couple of programs that don't run on newer Windows systems. I'm required to download a couple of reports each week from a supplier, and these reports are created in a file that uses the .dif extension. The QRG tells me to launch Excel, then open the file and will convert to a readable spreadsheet. I'm happy to say that works perfectly, but only with Excel, and not with OpenOffice Calc. Wondering if there is a setting I'm missing, or, if anyone else has experienced this problem and found a workaround. I have searched the Calc database for ".dif" files and found no references. I can use excel on a co-workers desktop so there's no panic to this question, but would appreciate any and all suggestions.
Thank you.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 running on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: opening .dif files in Calc

Post by FJCC »

The dif format is just plain text, so you should be able to open it in Calc by selecting the menu Insert -> Sheet From File. Before you do that, you might want to open the file in Notepad or some other text editor and look at the data structure; what character is used to separate columns, whether text is quoted, etc. That will help you set the import options in Calc.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
PandoraTim

Re: opening .dif files in Calc

Post by PandoraTim »

hello FJCC,

appreciate the tip and your prompt reply ! I'll try that this afternoon
PandoraTim

Re: Opening .dif files in Calc

Post by PandoraTim »

hello again, evidently I'm not following your instructions as I am still unable to make this transition work in OpenOffice. I have tried to Insert it as a sheet from a file but the new sheet is completely blank. I have also looked at the file in notepad. It appears to be a csv file but if I choose "text/csv" as the file type the file name is no longer available. The import filters help page reads, "For example, if you have a database table in text format that you want to open as a database table, you need to specify the file type "Text CSV" after selecting the file" but I am unable to specify the file type after selecting the file.

I apologize for these elementary questions. I'm sure this is easy stuff for most of you; but not, alas for me...

If it helps I could upload the file for viewing, or just copy and paste the actual text from my notepad. Please advise if this is suitable or not.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yep, the file picker shows files ending with .csv or .txt after you have chosen the Text(*.csv) filter.

3 solutions:

1. Type in the known name with .dif into the file picker's name box instead of picking it from the filtered list
2. Right-click the file in the file explorer and choose "open with"... and choose OpenOffice or whatever program.
3. Rename the file to something with a .csv or .text ending. Renaming a file does not change a single byte of the file's content but it can help to open it with a double-click
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
PandoraTim

Post by PandoraTim »

hello Villeroy, thanks for your suggestions. I tried all three suggestions, without, I'm sorry to say, any success.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Please upload your data file or at least its first few lines. You will probably have to change the last part of the name from .dif to .csv. To upload, click Post Reply and then look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.