Unable to delete columns?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Shelbyw

Unable to delete columns?

Post by Shelbyw »

I have downloaded research logs templates, and I am trying to use these on Open Office. This first log was saved as a ods file. I am trying to delete a number of columns, but haven't been able to do so. I have tried selecting the column, right clicking on column header, and then selecting delete column, but it is not working. I am using the current version of both Open Office, and Sierra OS. What am I doing wrong? Any help would certainly be appreciated!
Open Office version 4.1.1 on Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.5
RusselB

Re: Unable to delete columns?

Post by RusselB »

The steps you describe for deleting a column in Calc match what I would've done.
You state that "it is not working", but fail to describe what (if any) changes you see.
If you have 10 columns, and delete the 3rd column, you will end up with 9 columns, not 2 columns, then a blank column, then 7 columns.
Can you do any editing of the file you downloaded?
Where did you get the template from? What is the name of the file you downloaded?
As it is a template, there may be rows/columns that are hidden and/or protected in order to maintain the functionality of the template.
If this is the case, then you're going to have to do a lot more work to remove columns and still ensure that the template works correctly,
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

Did you, previous to trying to remove the columns, save the file ?

If not it is probably Read Only until you saved it.

Otherwise it would help if we could see an example of the .ods file

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
Shelbyw

Post by Shelbyw »

Thank you so much for your replies. The file was genealogy research log templates.XLS I have been able to delete examples in each column , so that works. What I am trying to get rid of....are the extra columns that I don't need. What I am doing is highlighting the columns, and then going to edit and selecting delete. When I try and delete columns there are no changes at all which I am beginning to think the columns are hidden. When I saved the file I rec'd a message that I needed to save as ods file. What I think I will just do is just ignore all these extra columns.
Open Office version 4.1.1 on Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

if these extra columns are after the main block of data, I doubt you can delete them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS