Calculate odds

Discuss the spreadsheet application
RusselB

Calculate odds

Post by RusselB »

NOTE: Knowledge of the game and scoring in Cribbage will be required (I believe) for an answer.

A friend of mine and I were playing Cribbage the other day, and at one point, both hands and the crib not only had the same point value, but also the same breakdown.
We were wondering what the odds of that happening were, and I said that they could be calculated, but I had no idea as to how to do the calculation.
If someone could help us out by providing a formula, or showing how this information could be arrived at, we'd both appreciate it.

In detail the hands counted as 15-2 15-4 and a pair for 6.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Calculate odds

Post by John_Ha »

I am sure that Ms Google will know the answer. When I asked her advice she suggested I looked at How to calculate cribbage 29 hand odds
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I had already tried Google and the closest to what I want, that I found, is the odds of getting a 6 point hand.
The fact that I'm wanting to figure the odds of 3 different hands having the 6 point count and in a specific manner lowers those odds.

There is only one option for a 29 hand, but there are lots of options for a 6 point hand.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Since I have forgotten how to play cribbage and most of the probability theory I once vaguely grasped, my suggestion would be to see if the people at Cross Validated can help.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Thanks for the referral jkrideau. i have created an account there and posted this query.... now to wait for, hopefully, a good response.