[Solved] Calc crashes when trying to "Find" on a sheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
haku

[Solved] Calc crashes when trying to "Find" on a sheet

Post by haku »

To anyone who can resolve this for me:

Just installed OpenOffice.

Calc works like a dream... except when I try to "Find" something on a sheet. Then it invariably crashes, with no exception. This did not happen at the beginning - only from when I reached about row 500. This happens both with the find/replace dialog as with the "Find" element on top of the sheet.

So what gives?

Thanks for anyone's reply.

haku
Last edited by haku on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Calc crashes when trying to "Find" something on a sheet

Post by robleyd »

Hi, and welcome to the community forum.

Your question doesn't give enough information to provide a definitive answer. Can you provide a sample spreadsheet that shows the problem, along with details of exactly what, and how, you are trying to search?

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
haku

Post by haku »

Hi!

Thanks for the swift reply.

As said in my profile, my OpenOffice version is 4.1.3

OS is Win 10

Any search and find operation, either via the taskbar or via the menu, invariably results in a crash and recover situation. It doesn't matter what word or figure or whatever I am searching for.

Attached, you will find the spreadsheet where this occurs. But I noticed that any spreadsheet past a certain length and with a relative degree of complexity results in the same kind of crash. Very annoying.

Best,

haku
Attachments
MoD - Shots Final.ods
(96.21 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I can't replicate the problem with your spreadsheet on my device, so it may be something peculiar to your system. Often, if weird things happen, resetting the user profile may solve the problem. If you have modified dictionaries or other features, see the first link below for where such changes are stored.

Delete or rename your OpenOffice user profile.

In Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar (not the search engine) and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder, say to user.old. Start OpenOffice.

When you restart OpenOffice, you should be prompted for name/initials on next startup of OO.

[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile

Resetting the user profile
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
haku

Post by haku »

Hi!

Thanks! Apparently, your method works - up to now. But when it should happen again, I'll redo this operation.

Best regards,

haku
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It may be that there has been an over hasty shutdown which has caused corruption of your user profile. Another poster here has said:
RoryOF wrote: To prevent this happening again (or at least minimise the possibility of its recurrence), one should be leisurely in powering off the computer. As computers now cache data, but in software and hardware buffers, to appear to speed up their reaction, one must go through the formal shut down procedure for one's operating system, then wait until all disk activity has ceased before powering off. This only takes a few extra seconds, but even cumulatively, such extra seconds are very much less than the time to recover or rebuild a damaged file. Also, one should observe the USB device removal protocol, again waiting the few seconds until disk activity has ceased after the "you may now safely remove the device" message.
He refers to damaged documents, but the same can apply to the user profile.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
haku

Post by haku »

Hi to all who helped me. Thanks again. How do I indicate that the matter is solved?

Best

haku
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

How to tag a topic as solved.

In your first post, click the Edit button. Go to the subject line and add [Solved] at the beginning of the subject.

Then select the tick as the Post icon (just below the subject line). Preview if you wish to see how it looks.
Finally, hit Submit - done!
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15