[Solved] #DIV/0! on spreadsheet created in Excel

Discuss the spreadsheet application
MFerguson

[Solved] #DIV/0! on spreadsheet created in Excel

Post by MFerguson »

I have a spreadsheet that was created in Excel. I have a tab with input information. We will continue to add rows to this tab with monthly data. I created a summary tab using multiple formulas including offset, index, match and countA. The formulas work in Excel, I opened it in LibreOffice, but when I open it in OpenOffice, I get #DIV/0! in all cells. My summary tab needs to pull data from the most recent 12 months and I was hoping for it to automatically populate as the inputs change. Below are a couple of the formulas that result in #DIV/0!. It appears that the functions are available in Open Office so I am assuming maybe it is a difference in syntax between Excel and OpenOffice. Any help is appreciated.

=LOOKUP(2;1/($Invoices.$A$1:$A$1048576<>"");$Invoices.$A$1:$A$1048576)

=OFFSET(INDEX(OFFSET($Invoices.$A$4;0;0;COUNTA($Invoices.$A$1:$A$1048576)-1;1);MATCH(A4;OFFSET($Invoices.$A$4;0;0;COUNTA($Invoices.$A$1:$A$1048576)-1;1);0);1);-1;0)
Last edited by MFerguson on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: #DIV/0! on spreadsheet created in Excel

Post by FJCC »

The LOOKUP() formula will throw ad #DIV/0 error whenever the comparison

Code: Select all

$Invoices.$A$1:$A$1048576<>"")
is FALSE because FALSE = 0 and you are dividing by that quantity. Excel has a "feature" that allowed this to slip through without an error and it turns out to be useful in LOOKUP() formulas. I guess LibreOffice has mimicked this bug. I can't remember what the point of it is. Please remind me of the purpose and maybe someone can come up with another way to do the same thing.
I don't see a problem with the second formula. Is it possible that one of the cells it depends on contains a #DIV/0?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MFerguson

Post by MFerguson »

We used the Lookup(2,1/ code to give the value in the last row of the input tab. 1/TRUE or 1/FALSE is going to result in 1 or #DIV/0!. It is supposed to find the last non-blank cell in column A (which has dates) and return that date.

Then the other cells lookup the date and fill in the table with corresponding columns information. If I manually put a date in, it does fill in the rest of the table with one exception. I get an Err:509 in a cell using this formula =HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(A4;$Invoices.$A$4:A4($Invoices.$A$1:$H$1048576;A4;8);8;0);LOOKUP($A4;$Invoices.$A$1:$A$1048576;$Invoices.$E$1:$E$1048576))

All of my Excel formulas were $A:$A or similar and it looks like Open Office uses the 1048576 since it is the last row available.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I should have asked earlier, are the data guaranteed to be contiguous or might there be blank cells along the way to the last used cell in column A?
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

If there are no blank cells you can use

=OFFSET(A1;COUNTA(A1:A1048576)-1 ;0)
to get the content of the last value. If there are blanks you can use the array formula

{=OFFSET(A1;MAX(NOT(ISBLANK(A1:A1048576)) * ROW(A1:A1048576)) -1;0)}
MFerguson

Post by MFerguson »

I will give these a try. Thank you.