[Solved] Calculating across different sheets

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ghia589

[Solved] Calculating across different sheets

Post by ghia589 »

Thanks to all that helped my old memory. Great service as always.

Want to write formula as follows:

I have 2 sheets called apple and baker. As an example, I want cell b14 on the sheet called baker to automatically show what is typed into cell a12 on page apple. I use to know how to do this, but old age is setting in.

What would be the formula typed into cell b14 on baker?

Many thanks, Tom
Last edited by ghia589 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Calculating across different sheets

Post by robleyd »

Assuming both sheets are in the same file:

Code: Select all

=apple.A12
Or you can do the process of typing = into B14 on baker and then click on the target cell in apple.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
ghia589

Post by ghia589 »

Thanks David. I actually have 114 sheets in the same file, and your suggestion worked fine for two sheets labeled T and S. I decided to try a longer sheet name and typed:

=Twelve Days of Christmas.A12 and got Err509

I assume I need to do something different if a sheet has multiple words in its title????
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

ghia589 wrote:=Twelve Days of Christmas.A12 and got Err509
I assume I need to do something different if a sheet has multiple words in its title????
robleyd wrote:Or you can do the process of typing = into B14 on baker and then click on the target cell in apple.
Learn to let Calc help you construct the formula. Type an equal sign in the cell where you want the formula. Click sheet tab Twelve Days of Christmas. Click cell A12. Click the sheet tab which contains the formula (the one where you typed the equal sign). Press Enter to complete the formula. Look at that cell to see the correct syntax.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

MrProgrammer's recommendation is your best bet, as the simple solution, namely to tell you that you need quotation marks around the sheet name when it contains multiple space separated words, does come with some exceptions that are dependent on the actual characters in the sheet name,
The recommendation will, not only show you the correct syntax for that situation, but will also allow you to learn/recall a skill.

Edited for clarification
Last edited by RusselB on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

you need quotation marks around the sheet name when it contains multiple words,
...or you can use "_" sign instead of the space " " character for the sheet names:
Twelve Days of Christmas -> Twelve_Days_of_Christmas
In this case not needed to use the quotation marks in the formula.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.