Grouping disappear

Discuss the spreadsheet application
heisti

Grouping disappear

Post by heisti »

I tried to search the solution to my issue, but didn't find any so I decided to open new one.
I think somebody had the same issue in 2014, but didn't get answer to the problem so here it is again.

I've got a lot of information from different years in over 20 sheets.
In each sheet there is currently over 3000 rows of data (about 600 rows a year) and it is getting pretty hard (time consuming) to scroll to wanted row.

I've tried to group (F12) each year of data into one group so you could hide unnecessary rows when not needed.
Grouping would work really fine in my situation, but the problem is that when I open my sheet again grouping in some sheets have disappeared. If grouping was "closed" the rows is also hided. I could add grouping the the sheet again, but it is disappeared again next time so it is not very usable if you have to add grouping every time you reopen the sheet.

I don't know if this has something to do with the size of my file (many sheets and groups) or something else. I've used grouping in smaller sheets before succesfully and haven't faced this issue before.

Any idea why this is happening and is there any way to make it work?

Br,
heisti
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
acknak

Re: Grouping disappear

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

What document format are you saving to? Saving to any format other than OOo's native ODF format (.ods for spreadsheets) carries some risk of losing formatting or even content. If you're not saving as ODF, try that and see if you still have a problem.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
heisti

Post by heisti »

Yes, I'm using ODF fomat (.ods).

It seems that only some groupings have disappeared, but not all. And if it happens to one sheet all groupings in that sheet disappear. I haven't figured it out what make it happen, but it work like there is maximum number of groupings (always some groupings have disappeared but not all).

Br,
heisti
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I have not run into this—although I don't use groups/subtotals much.

If it's a bug (sounds like it might be), it would be crucial to have a list of steps that reliably triggers the problem.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
heisti

Post by heisti »

Problem is that my file has so many tabs, data and groupings that it is pretty hard to define what cause the problem.
But let's see if I could isolate the main reason...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If all the sheets share the same structure, it would be easy to convert this spreadsheet into something much better.
Roughly:
Copy all data into one list.
Save the big list as dBase (*dbf) in a dedicated directory.
Connect a Base document to the directory.
Create a pivot table to pull any info you need from the database instead of grouped cells.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
heisti

Post by heisti »

Structure of the sheets differs from each others so you can't merge them into one list (some differs little others more).
All list are also modified and rows are added to them at least monthly. I'm not familiar with dBase so I don't know if that is possible (usable) in that way.

I'll have to rethink the structure of my sheets so there wouldn't be that many sheets and see if that would help with my problem.