[Solved] Return an average, but not until data is entered

Discuss the spreadsheet application
rcrmonte3

[Solved] Return an average, but not until data is entered

Post by rcrmonte3 »

I have a column (d) that averages the numbers in another column (c) AVG=(c$1:c70). c70 is whatever cell number has a value ie c2, c3, c4, etc., so column d is the average of every value in column c. Is it possible to have cell d return a value of 0 if there is no value in column c, but still calculate the average when a value is entered in column c?
Every cell (from 1 to...) in column d has the AVG formula, which means the result of averaging column c fills all empty cells in column d after the actual result> Sounds confusing.
If cell c2=40 and c3=38, cell d3 will =39. All cells after d3 will =39 until a new value is entered in cell c4 and the formula in d4 will recalculate the average of c2:c4.
What I want to do is keep the formulas in each cell in column d, but if there is no value in c4, the formula in d will return 0 until a value is entered in c4, etc.
How to do that if it is possible?

Edit: Changed subject, was AVG=0 IF..... 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on windows 10
FJCC

Re: AVG=0 IF.....

Post by FJCC »

I am not sure I understand what you want. Do you need a formula like

Code: Select all

=IF(ISBLANK(C4);0;AVERAGE(C$1:C4))
in D4? That returns 0 if C4 is blank but returns the average of C1:C4 otherwise.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

rcrmonte3,
Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
rcrmonte3

Post by rcrmonte3 »

FJCC:
Your formula works very well, thank you.
However, where it is =IF(ISBLANK(c4) I need the c4 to increase by 1 in every column c cell when I do a 'fill down'. c4, c5, c6, etc
rcrmonte3

Post by rcrmonte3 »

Zizi64:
What is an ODF type sample file? I am not an IT person so I have no clue of what you are asking.
rcrmonte3

Post by rcrmonte3 »

FJCC:
Sorry, my mistake. I corrected a problem and then the formula workedthe way I need it to.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you put the formula FJCC gave you into D4, then copy it from D4 to another cell in column D, then the C4 in the ISBLANK will automatically update for the new row that you paste it into.
You can also paste into a range (ie: several rows) at once, and the formula will be correctly, and automatically adjusted for each row that it is pasted into.

An ODF sample file would be something like your actual spreadsheet. ODF stands for Open Document Format. In Calc the extension used for an ODF file is .ods (I like to think of it as Open Document Spreadsheet, though I don't know if that's officially correct)
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What is an ODF type sample file?
ODF: Open Document Format. It is an International Standard.
The specific file extension is .ods for the Spreadsheet files. ODF is the native fileformat of the Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
rcrmonte3

Post by rcrmonte3 »

Thanks guys. Everything works OK now.