Images enlarge slightly on preview and printout!?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Orangery

Images enlarge slightly on preview and printout!?

Post by Orangery »

I am manually positioning images into a list in Calc. Basically a short description with the pictures underneath. This format is continued throughout. I am using Open Office version 4.1 on Windows Vista.

In preview mode and on first sight, each row of pictures seem to be slipping further down the page. In fact, it turns out that they are inexplicably being enlarged by a small percentage on printout. So either the worksheet is correct and the preview and printout are wrong, or the worksheet is incorrect and the preview and printout are correct. What is going on here and why are my pictures being increased by say, 102% when printed. It throws everything out. Hope someone can help - thanks.

PS - also tried it on Open Office 3.3 and the enlargement of images on output was even greater!? :crazy:
Open Office 4.1 Windows Vista
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Images enlarge slightly on preview and printout!?

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Can you up-load a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type - 128 kB max here - or use a file share site.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I'm afraid this is a limitation in Calc's design. Images and graphics have no rigorous connection to the cells; they aren't "contained" in a cell the way text and numbers are, and Calc will happily let graphics slip out of alignment or change size when/if the cell size changes. I don't know of any fix for it. When I have images that need to be lumped together with other data, I use a Writer table. A database is another possibility.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Orangery

Post by Orangery »

Thank you both for your posts but I may have left out some important information.

Initially the spreadsheet with text descriptions only, were made up using Open Office 3.3 on an old laptop. I then transferred these files to my desktop computer to import into 4.1. I'm now thinking there might be a compatibility issue or a corrupt calc file? The images were uploaded to a USB stick separately.

As a test, I created a new spreadsheet with a long line of text (actually numbers 1-30) on both machines using their respective Open office versions. I then dragged an image into the calc document and lined it up with the numbers. On preview mode, both results lined up perfectly (so no distortion or enlargement).

I now have to work out the quickest way round the problem as there is a lot of text.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Ignore the change from 3.3 to 4.1 and the USB stick - they are not causing it. 3.3 is completely obsolete - no-one should be using it today.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Orangery

Post by Orangery »

It seems that it is not the images that increase in size after all - it is the typewritten information that decreases!?

I can get round the problem by using one sheet per page (instead of one lengthy document). I just copy (or cut) a section of the main document and paste it into a new sheet. I can now position the pictures that run down the page with better accuracy. I have no idea why this should work (but happy that it does).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Can you up-load a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type - 128 kB max here - or use a file share site.

Orangery

Post by Orangery »

OO-Preview ex.jpg
John - the example shows the page format. I used a filter to help highlight the anomaly (looks a bit of a mess).

If you click on the image to enlarge it, you should be able to see that the spacing between each description and the set of images below it, increases the further down the page you go. This is not how I set up the worksheet, where all spacing is consistent.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Can you upload a .ods file. You can reduce the image file sizes by using these images.
Attachments
small images.odt
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 104 times