[Solved] My document is lost - what do I do?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Ragnhild

[Solved] My document is lost - what do I do?

Post by Ragnhild »

My computer crashed, and I had my accounting open in Open Office Calc. When I turned on the computer again, it was not able to recover the file (I just got a red X on the calc-file, three word files were OK). Now, when I try to open the file, I just get this image https://ibb.co/n2oaR5 (sorry, it's in norwegian, but I hope you understand it). I've tried to choose several options from "tegnsett", but every time I just get a blank sheet.
When I look at the information on the file it self, it contains much more kb than an empty file, so I have a little hope that my accounting still is there, but how on earth can I get i back? Really hope someone can help me, and that my accountings not are lost for ever :\
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3,3, win10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: My document is lost - what do I do?

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

The ASCII filter means that all the data has been lost from your file. If you open the file with a Hex editor it will show all Null characters.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Ragnhild

Post by Ragnhild »

Thank you for the tutorial, and for your quick answer. I went through all the steps I was still not able to find a recovery file of my accounting, I'm so sad right now :(
OpenOffice 3,3, win10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I am surprised because, as your PC crashed, Writer did not have time to delete the temporary file. You should therefore have some files in the temp folder specified in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths ..., which is C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp by default. Did you set Show hidden files to ON? In Windows 10, go File Explorer > View (Ribbon tab) > Options ..., to open the Folder Options/File Explorer Options window.
1a. If your PC or Writer crashed ...

... you may find that the temporary files are still there, so navigate to the Temp folder (it is specified in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths ...) and see if you can see them. Sort the files in alphabetical order and rename the first xxxxxxxx.tmp to xxxxxxxx.odt and try to open it.

If you cannot see any, then Writer has deleted them. You now need to un-delete them. Act quickly - they risk being overwritten the longer you leave it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Ragnhild

Post by Ragnhild »

I tried that, yes, and I have turned hidden files on. I restarted my computer 1 more time after the crash, maybe that has something to say. And maybe it has something to say that de original file is stored in Dropbox. At least I could not find it :\
OpenOffice 3,3, win10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If the original file was stored in Dropbox, then you can access the file (Dropbox calls it a snapshot, but it is the full file), that was created the last time you accessed the file via your PCs Dropbox folder.

To access the snapshot, you have to use your web browser to look at your Dropbox account via the Dropbox website. You can't do it via the synced files on your PC.

There may be more than one snapshot, as Dropbox makes a new snapshot of the file each time it is accessed after the initial save.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Ragnhild

Post by Ragnhild »

OMG! You just saved my world right now!!! Thank you SO, SO, SO much ♥♥♥♥♥ I didn't get the completley new one, but I got one from august, and that's so much better than nothing - the last 3 weeks is no problem to recover from my mind. Wow! Huge, massive interactive hugs to you right now ♥ And I'm now making both one and two and three backups of this file. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
OpenOffice 3,3, win10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you keep using your synced Dropbox folder for your documents, then any documents in that folder that you access will get a snapshot.
There is a new snapshot taken each time the file is accessed, whether it be by you, or someone else (hopefully authorized).
The snapshots do not affect the amount of storage on your Dropbox account, though it's my understanding that there is a maximum of 50 snapshots per file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.