[Solved] Break Calc file encryption algorithm?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
fifagenis

[Solved] Break Calc file encryption algorithm?

Post by fifagenis »

I am new to Calc and password protected a calc file. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember it clearly. What kind of encryption algorithm does calc use? Is it possible to brute-force the password like zip file, which I did it successfully on Windows.
Last edited by fifagenis on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Calc file encryption algorithm?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
fifagenis wrote:I am new to Calc and password protected a calc file. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember it clearly.
My advice about passwords is in section 6. Saving your data and making backups of Ten concepts that every Calc user should know.

You can also read Password Recovery.
fifagenis wrote: Is it possible to brute-force the password like zip file, which I did it successfully on Windows.
I would assume that will not be easy. I have read that OpenOffice uses "strong encryption". What is the point in providing password protection if it is simple to circumvent? However if one has used a weak password, say just the letter "x", any encryption algorithm is vulnerable.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

fifagenis wrote:Is it possible to brute-force the password like zip file, which I did it successfully on Windows.
AOO files are zip files so rename the file to a zip file and try it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
fifagenis

Post by fifagenis »

MrProgrammer wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum.
fifagenis wrote:I am new to Calc and password protected a calc file. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember it clearly.
My advice about passwords is in section 6. Saving your data and making backups of Ten concepts that every Calc user should know.

You can also read Password Recovery.
fifagenis wrote: Is it possible to brute-force the password like zip file, which I did it successfully on Windows.
I would assume that will not be easy. I have read that OpenOffice uses "strong encryption". What is the point in providing password protection if it is simple to circumvent? However if one has used a weak password, say just the letter "x", any encryption algorithm is vulnerable.
Thanks. I learn my lesson so I will write the password and backup file in future.
John_Ha wrote:
fifagenis wrote:Is it possible to brute-force the password like zip file, which I did it successfully on Windows.
AOO files are zip files so rename the file to a zip file and try it.
Thanks for sharing this trick. I will test it out.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

For those interested, here is the AOO Wiki page discussing encryption.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
fifagenis

Post by fifagenis »

MrProgrammer wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You can also read zip Password Unlocker.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
there are many password recovery tools out there, most of them used brute-force to crack password like zip, rar or doc. you can google it.