[Solved] Recognize Cost Category automatically?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Oskilor

[Solved] Recognize Cost Category automatically?

Post by Oskilor »

Hello,
I use this Calc-Sheet to save all of my expenditures. In the center of the sheet, you see the important columns: Name - Category - Amount.
I note every expenditure with a name, give it a category and note the amount of money spent. When the table is filled, I count all expenses of a respective category in the box on the right side - and I do it manually.
My intention is to automate this process. 'The box' should automatically recognize the expenditures on the central columns by category and count them together in the respective cell in the box on the right.
My problem is that I dont know 'functions' well... And i dond know if it is even possible to let CALC do such a complex process automatically...
Is there anyone who could help? Would be awesome!
Attachments
Calc.PNG
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Recognize Cost Category automatically?

Post by RusselB »

I'm going to suggest you look at the COUNTIFS function.
Regretfully the COUNTIFS function isn't in the help file, but if you have the balloon prompts turned on (they are on by default), then you can enter

Code: Select all

=countifs(
and the balloon prompt can guide you as to the correct format for the parameters.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
thinman3
Volunteer

Post by thinman3 »

The way I'm reading the request is to get a total for each of the items in the right most pic based on a list of individual purchases in the left most pic. Hence , use the SUMPRODUCT or the SUMIF function.
SUMPRODUCT_purchases.ods
(12.21 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
3.4.1 & 4.1.5 on MS Windows 7 Pro x64
Oskilor

Post by Oskilor »

Problem solved!

The function is "sumif" or "SUMMEWENN" in German. Works perfect!
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7