[Solved] Append a Dropdown List when new Data is Entered?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
PhilLens

[Solved] Append a Dropdown List when new Data is Entered?

Post by PhilLens »

Is there a way to automatically append a new dropdown entry a named range used for a VLOOKUP action? I am sure there is, but cannot find it after searching online (probably using wrong search terms -Ha). This task will be familiar to many, but I cannot find it in this forum.

I have a cell with a VLOOKUP-type of dropdown list, which upon selection of an existing value allows some other cells on a sheet to populate, based upon that selection; I have that functioning just fine. (This actually happens to be a named range with client names followed by columns of contact information).

However, when the user wishes to enter new data (a new client name in this case), how can I automatically add this new name to my named range so that it will be included in subsequent uses of the cell? Is that possible, considering there are other cells on the sheet that get populated based on the selection? I DO know you can do this with a simple validate list, but referring to a named range may be far more difficult (or impossible without great knowledge of coding)?

By the way, this lookup list is alphabetically sorted, so I would be resorting it manually from time to time (unless there is way to do that automatically, too). I am just beginning to learn a bit about the coding of macros, so this is may be way above my minimal skills. I was just wondering if there is a simple method to append a named "lookup" list without too much complexity.

Thanks - Phil
Last edited by PhilLens on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on OSX 10.11.6, iMac Desktop
RusselB

Re: How to Append a Dropdown List when new Data is Entered?

Post by RusselB »

Are you using the selection from the dropdown list as the first (search) parameter for the VLOOKUP? If so, then all you need to do is add the entry(ies) to the dropdown list.
Are you looking for a way to add the entry(ies) to the dropdown list, so that the entries are available for the VLOOOKUP? If so, what is the method used to populate the dropdown list? It seems to me that the easiest method would be to have the dropdown list populated from a range on the spreadsheet, in which case you just need to insert a row for each entry you want to add. Just putting the entries in at the bottom of the range might work, but it's not the recommended method.
If neither of these is what you are looking for, then I need further clarification as to what you are trying to do. A sample of your current spreadsheet, using dummy data if the real data is sensitive, would help a lot.

As to sorting the lookup list automatically, this could be done via a macro, or you could just change the last parameter of your VLOOKUP formula(e) so that it doesn't expect a sorted list. While a non-sorted list isn't as efficient, the discrepancy is minimal.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The NAMED RANGES are extendable by insert row/s/ (or column/s/) at inside of the range.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
PhilLens

Post by PhilLens »

RusselB wrote:Are you using the selection from the dropdown list as the first (search) parameter for the VLOOKUP? If so, then all you need to do is add the entry(ies) to the dropdown list...
Thank you for the comments. I understand that it would be simple to do as you suggest, but other users will be using the subject sheet and I was hoping to allow them to add a name themselves, via the cells which now contain VLOOKUP formulas. In other words, the sheets are to be used by other folks. Other users would then enter the contact information, too, which would (I assume) destroy the formulas in those cells. Probably impractical, if not undoable in Calc.

Oh, well. I believe the Openoffice database manager program is probably more suited for that sort of thing and will be a better choice in the long run. It is dawning on me now that I have asked a pretty silly question and should have given it more thought before doing so. Apologies for that. Still learning here.

The solution then may be to use a bit more flexible program, in this case.

Thanks as always.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on OSX 10.11.6, iMac Desktop