Format of date not executing

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Bill Avant

Format of date not executing

Post by Bill Avant »

Does anyone have a thought of why Calc would stop formatting dates? example. A date column with the format of "year/month/day". I use to enter the date as "month/day/year" and the formatted cell would display the correct format yr/mo/day. Now it doesn't. I don't know if I changed something in options by accident.
I'm using Calc 4.1.3. windows 10,
OPEN OFFICE 4.1.3 ON WINDOWS 10
LG
RoryOF

Re: format of date not executing

Post by RoryOF »

Have you recently updated to Win10 from an earlier Windows?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill Avant

Post by Bill Avant »

RoryOF wrote:Have you recently updated to Win10 from an earlier Windows?
It's been sometime ago. However, I don't remember if there has been a recent update
LG
acknak

Post by acknak »

The most common cause of cell/number formats not working is that the cell holds a text value instead of a number. The simplest way to check is with View > Value Highlighting: ON. If the value is displayed in black text, it's text; in blue, it's a number.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill Avant

Post by Bill Avant »

acknak wrote:The most common cause of cell/number formats not working is that the cell holds a text value instead of a number. The simplest way to check is with View > Value Highlighting: ON. If the value is displayed in black text, it's text; in blue, it's a number.
Ok did that and cells were blue. Thank you. is there another solution, please? I learned a new check technique with your answer, I wasn't aware of.
LG
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Whenever you enter dates into spreadsheet cells (Excel, Calc, Gnumeric, whatever):
11/ enters this month's 11th da.
11/12 enters this year's 12th of November or in US locale context 11th of December
11/12/13 enters a day/month/year or month/day/year respectively.
In any locale context you can enter ISO dates 2013-12-11.

These are the input patterns that are recognized by any spreadsheet program regardless of the cell formatting.
You can simple enter 3/ and the cell shows "Thursday, August 3 in the year 2017" if the cell is formatted like that
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill Avant

Post by Bill Avant »

Villeroy wrote:Whenever you enter dates into spreadsheet cells (Excel, Calc, Gnumeric, whatever):
11/ enters this month's 11th da.
11/12 enters this year's 12th of November or in US locale context 11th of December
11/12/13 enters a day/month/year or month/day/year respectively.
In any locale context you can enter ISO dates 2013-12-11.

These are the input patterns that are recognized by any spreadsheet program regardless of the cell formatting.
You can simple enter 3/ and the cell shows "Thursday, August 3 in the year 2017" if the cell is formatted like that
LG
Bill Avant

Post by Bill Avant »

RoryOF wrote:Have you recently updated to Win10 from an earlier Windows?
Rory, yes I went to windows 10 64 bit from win8 32 bit around 10-2016, I think. I was having this problem. no fix. then went from 4g to 8g ram. no fix. however I opened an earlier version of this spreadsheet that actually is larger than this one and it works great. Problem is I have had to add additional sheets. so I removed them on the newer version. now it still doesn't work.
My System is: Edition Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.540, Processor Intel Core i3 CPU 540@3.07GHz 3.06GHz, Installed RAM 8.00GB(7.80GB usable), System Type 64 bit operating System, x64-based processor.
The Calc is 32 bit
LG
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Format of date not executing

Post by Villeroy »

Bill Avant wrote:Does anyone have a thought of why Calc would stop formatting dates? example. A date column with the format of "year/month/day". I use to enter the date as "month/day/year" and the formatted cell would display the correct format yr/mo/day.
If M/D/Y is the right input pattern or not depends on the locale setting in Tools>Options>LangaugeSettings>Languages (2nd item on that options page).
If this option is set to "English (USA)", 1/2 enters 2nd of January and 19/2 is not recognized as date.
You can override this setting for the current spreadsheet document with a modified "Default" cell style (F11, right-click "Default"). Apply number format "General" with explicit "English (USA)" language. Now it may be set to "Default: English(USA)" which means that English(USA) inherits from the global setting and that setting inherits from the system locale.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice