Creating Pie-Charts from Weekly Logs

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Lord_Korah

Creating Pie-Charts from Weekly Logs

Post by Lord_Korah »

What there appears to be are several disjointed sub-sets of "data", which need to be "cut" and "glued" together in a single continuous value of complete set of data. I do not know how to do this, without getting much more into the use of excel documents, and their operation. However, additional hours toward my Apprenticeship, and some vague notion that I will improve my chess ability and critical thinking skills... is a motivating factor. Any investment in this will be sure to trigger ideas about your own personal time management, and

What is my goal?

I am [attempting] to combine all the same activities into a single numerical value.
For example, One portion of the week is allotted to sleep. Each day has a "semi-defined" amount of time "colored" yellow for sleep. How can I calculate all those values, for each day - into a single known value? There is simple arithmetic here, and algebra.

The unknown variable here is (total hours of sleep for the week = SL)

Monday is a recorded value, as is Tuesday, and Wednesday, etc; but can be represented as variables until I find the "known" amount. I.E. Mon = M, Tuesday = T, etc.

The algebraic formula is then, where the units for each are total hours of sleep : M + T + W + Th + F + S + Su = SL (total hours).
I now must find the values for the total hours per day. Monday has two sections defined as time by the color yellow, but the "interior" of the sections themselves do not have any value associated.
I can calculate the value of that time slot by subtracting the largest hour, from the smallest. i.e. 5:30 AM subtract 4:30 AM. I know this value to be 1 hour in duration.
What I do not know is how I can make this into a computerized function, which given the other "yellow" marked portion of the day, can take the two variable for time, subtract them, and then add both the values of both sections together to give me a total time.
A search on the phrase "what type of function is subtraction" lead me to an quick glance, and suggestion to use the SUM function in excel to subtract values....
I have learned how little I know in regards to using functions...
I can subtract, using the A column to calculate "rough" values, by that I mean, if I enter as a function (define) A9-A5, the result will be based on the way the values in those positions are formulated, a value of 1:00:00 AM. I do not want this value - because what I am trying to calculate is not in that type of unit. 1:00:00 if its unit is 1 hour, 00 minutes, and 00 seconds - is correct; but how to make the computer recognize that?
Last edited by floris v on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Solved tick mark, floris v, moderator
Open Office Version 4.1.3. Installed on Windows 10.
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Creating Pie-Charts from Weekly Logs

Post by Lupp »

As I anyway made sets of sheets for similar purposes, I adapted one of them and will attach it here.
If you want to base your own solution on it you will ned to understand it and to make the needed adaptions.
Errors may be contained!
I did not check the changes thoroughly on a high level. "Just so."

Support will not be available.
Attachments
aoo89652TimeUtilizationByGivenTypes_1.ods
(61.06 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München