[Solved] Delete floating cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
djryanash

[Solved] Delete floating cells

Post by djryanash »

Hi all,

I created these floating cells. I forgot what they're actually called, forgot how I created them and now I don't know how to delete them.

How do I delete them?

Thanks,

Ryan
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-07-22 12.59.26.png
Screenshot 2017-07-22 12.59.26.png (95.3 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on MacOS 10.11.4
soby
Volunteer

Re: Delete floating cells

Post by soby »

Can you upload your .ods file, so we can search for a solution
Or double click on the chart and look for floating chart
Libre Office 6.1 dev homebuild Open Office 4.1.5 on Slackware64 current
djryanash

Post by djryanash »

soby wrote:Can you upload your .ods file, so we can search for a solution
Or double click on the chart and look for floating chart

I don't think it's necessary. I think this is quite straightforward. I just don't know how to delete these boxes.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

djryanash wrote:I don't think it's necessary. I think this is quite straightforward. I just don't know how to delete these boxes.
Hi boss! Think as you want. Contributors here are also thinking their way - and they are experienced.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just don't know how to delete these boxes.
Select them, and hit the DEL key.

We can not examine if those charts are protected or not, your sheets are protected or not, if those "cells" are Form Control elements or not... We can guess only without a real ODF type sample file...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
djryanash

Post by djryanash »

Zizi64 wrote:
I just don't know how to delete these boxes.
Select them, and hit the DEL key.

We can not examine if those charts are protected or not, your sheets are protected or not, if those "cells" are Form Control elements or not... We can guess only without a real ODF type sample file...

PERFECT!!! That's what I needed. Ahha!!! Form Controls. Went into Design Mode and deleted them.

Thanks. :)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

PERFECT!!! That's what I needed. Ahha!!! Form Controls. Went into Design Mode and deleted them.
:bravo: For the future questions: Always upload a sample DOCUMENT file. We are not paranormalists. :lol:
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
djryanash

Post by djryanash »

Zizi64 wrote:
:bravo: For the future questions: Always upload a sample DOCUMENT file. We are not paranormalists. :lol:
Only if I deem it necessary. I knew this time it wasn't required as the picture was clear enough.

Thanks again
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Only if I deem it necessary. I knew this time it wasn't required as the picture was clear enough.
The picture was not clear and was not enough.

It's just a coincidence that I've found the cause of the "mistake".
So, I was not that myself either who figured it out, but you were that, because you had a sample file, you was able to examine it. You was able to trying the tips.
I just guessed.
djryanash

Post by djryanash »

Zizi64 wrote:
The picture was not clear and was not enough.

It's just a coincidence that I've found the cause of the "mistake".
So, I was not that myself either who figured it out, but you were that, because you had a sample file, you was able to examine it. You was able to trying the tips.
I just guessed.
Look - it was right. The file wasn't needed. Just admit it and move on.

You should be happy, if it wasn't for your suggestion I wouldn't have figured it out.

I was an educated guess based on the picture.

So take the win and stop moaning.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please read the "Survival Guide for the forum".

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166#p1628
An example is worth a thousand words. If the problem is complicated to describe, the best is to create a sample file where you can reproduce the issue. If it deals with the interface, take a screenshot. Then upload the file here so that others can see what you're seeing.

For file samples, remove all sensitive data (replace text by dummy text), just keep the few pages/paragraphs needed. See How to attach a document here.
For screenshots, use the .png format and crop the pic to show only what is to be seen.
Files are limited to 128kB, if it can't be reduced below this size, use a 3rd party file sharing site.
djryanash

Post by djryanash »

Zizi64 wrote:Please read the "Survival Guide for the forum".

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166#p1628
An example is worth a thousand words. If the problem is complicated to describe, the best is to create a sample file where you can reproduce the issue. If it deals with the interface, take a screenshot. Then upload the file here so that others can see what you're seeing.

For file samples, remove all sensitive data (replace text by dummy text), just keep the few pages/paragraphs needed. See How to attach a document here.
For screenshots, use the .png format and crop the pic to show only what is to be seen.
Files are limited to 128kB, if it can't be reduced below this size, use a 3rd party file sharing site.

As it says right there: "If the problem is complicated to describe..." (my emphasis).

I can't believe you can't let this go.

Like I said before, take the win and move on. There is nothing and I repeat - nothing - you can say that will convince me that I didn't take the right course of action.

Feel free to keep replying to this thread if you feel so inclined. This will be my last post on the matter and I am unsubscribing to the thread. I have better things to do, such as training for an Ironman, building a fitness app and watching TV - just to name a few.

Thanks again for your help.

:bravo:
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The picture was not informative. It has not any information of the type of that cells (What they are? Embedded pictures? Some display refreshing error? Form Control elements? ...) and has not any information about the state of the objects (is protected or not, switched to edit mode or not...) It so easy to diagnose based on the real sample document. Delete the sensitive part from a copy of your document, if you want not share your data, or change them to dummy data.

Yes, it was a fortunate case. But you will not always such fortunate.