[Solved] Suddenly dates do not display correctly

Discuss the spreadsheet application
bobfleming

[Solved] Suddenly dates do not display correctly

Post by bobfleming »

Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, many dates on one of my spreadsheets do not display properly. The cells are formatted for a date to display as Dec. 31, 1999 and this has worked without a problem for years, but now new dates added after May 5, 2017 display on screen as ###. If I double-click on one of those cells, the date displays correctly, but as soon as I leave that cell the date reverts to ###. If I print the spreadsheet, all the dates display properly, like May 23, 2017. I suspected a corrupted program so I uninstalled Open Office and reinstalled it, but the problem persists. What is causing this weird problem and how do I fix it?
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu May 25, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick.[RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 on Windows 7
acknak

Re: Suddenly dates do not display correctly

Post by acknak »

The ### on the screen means that the column is too narrow to display the entire formatted value.

Select the column(s) and drag the vertical dividing line/border to make the column wider.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
bobfleming

Re: Suddenly dates do not display correctly

Post by bobfleming »

Thank you. That was the problem. Apparently I accidentally and unknowingly narrowed the column during an errant mouse move! And I spent many hours and reinstalling open office on two computers and then it took a couple of seconds to fix it from your suggestion! This problem is resolved but I don't know how to indicate that on the site.
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Suddenly dates do not display correctly

Post by robleyd »

How to tag a topic as solved.

In your first post, click the Edit button. Go to the subject line and add [Solved] at the beginning of the subject.

Then select the tick as the Post icon (just below the subject line). Preview if you wish to see how it looks.
Finally, hit Submit - done!
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers