Freezing up (updated)

Discuss the spreadsheet application
desdichato

Freezing up (updated)

Post by desdichato »

On the 22nd of April I placed a post on this forum about my calc freezing up and I got a lot of very helpful info (for which I thank everyone) :bravo: :super: since that day I have been working away merrily doing the spreadsheet using ways to minimize copy/paste (calc 8) and have generally been quite successful with the exception of a couple of glitches, in the month or so since I first posted this issue I have been averaging a hundred lines of data without much of a hassle and still have several hundred more to do, however, today it is like everything has gone berserk, I have done only one copy/paste (through the calc8 on toolbar) and had the computer freeze up twice in eleven lines of data - I cannot see what is causing this too happen as there is only one column that has superscript on it, while everything else is straight alpha (caps) or numeric.

Anymore thoughts would be greatly appriciated?

TIA
OOo 4.1.3 on 8.1
RoryOF

Re: UPDATE - freezing up

Post by RoryOF »

Try running Windows in Safe Mode. If OpenOffice runs stable in that mode then it is a Windows problem; you could continue in Safe Mode until your project is finished or spend too much time looking for a solution to the detriment of your project. Above all, backup backup, backup, with timed/dated backups.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
desdichato

Re: UPDATE - freezing up

Post by desdichato »

Thanks RoryQF,
The way I'm entering data at the moment is encouraging me to do the back up bit regularly, so with the minor gitches I've in the last month this is by far the worst day I've had, when I calm down a bit more I will try your suggestion of safe mode.

Thanks for the tip
OOo 4.1.3 on 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Freezing up (updated)

Post by RoryOF »

This may (or may not) only be a workaround: my priority is always that a user should get his project completed; we don't know if this is a life project or a college project, hence my choice of priority.

Personally, I have changed all my computers to linux (Xubuntu 16.04.02), on which I experience extreme stability, but this is a very large step, particularly for the less computer experienced. It is not a transition for those who expect all operating systems to look and work the same. The old rule about "don't change horses mid-stream" applies.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS