[Solved] Viewing data in input line

Discuss the spreadsheet application
foxfour2002

[Solved] Viewing data in input line

Post by foxfour2002 »

Hi
I have spreadsheets with lengthy strings of data in many cells. I prefer to not use text wrapping. To view the data in the input line I have to scroll. Is there any way to preview the entire string as you can in Excel?
Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.3 / Windows XP
acknak

Re: Viewing data in input line

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

I don't know any way to manage this in Apache OO. I believe LibreOffice (an independent branch off of AOO) has implemented a multi-line input area; you may want to give that a try.

Personally, if I'm working with long text strings, I avoid Calc. There are too many problems. As long as you don't need to do any calculations, a table in OO Writer works better.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
foxfour2002

Post by foxfour2002 »

Many thanks for that.
I'm really using them as databases updating from downloaded Excel files. Anyway if you don't ask...
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
foxfour2002 wrote:Is there any way to preview the entire string as you can in Excel?
You should be able to view all of the data in the cell if you "open" it by pressing F2 unless the data will fill the entire screen. Close it with ESC. I don't use Excel.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
foxfour2002

Post by foxfour2002 »

Hi
that's useful to know and something I shall use in the future.
Going back to my original question, it may just be that it is something that is not possible in Calc. No big deal.
Regards