HyperLink for External Dragged and Dropped file

Discuss the spreadsheet application
pblnrao

HyperLink for External Dragged and Dropped file

Post by pblnrao »

Dear Forum Members,

I am new to this forum. I am here with my first query.

I am in need of a help on drag and drop.

I have a situation where i will be having calc opened and windows explorer. From explorer i will drag a file and drop it on to calc active sheet. I want to add the dragged file name in the cell where i dropped with the hyperlink to the dragged file from explorer.

All you help and suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
PBL
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows Xp Prof
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: HyperLink for External Dragged and Dropped file

Post by Villeroy »

Most desktop software treats drag&drop like this:

Drag&Drop moves things (e.g. in file explorer on same drive, text snippets and sheet cells)
Drag&Drop with Shift key enforces moving things (e.g. in file explorer from one drive to another, text and sheet cells)
Drag&Drop with Ctrl key copies things (e.g. file explorer, text snippets and sheet cells)
Drag&Drop with Ctrl and Shift keys creates some sort of link (e.g. links in file explorer and links in sheet cells, not sure about text)
In Calc you can also use the Alt key to insert dragged cells or Ctrl+Alt to copy and insert dragged cells.

It is always worth trying the modifier keys particular when the software is able to undo actions.

On my systems (Windows and LInux) Drag& Ctrl+Shift+Drop of a file icon into a sheet cell creates a hyperlink to that file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
pblnrao

Re: HyperLink for External Dragged and Dropped file

Post by pblnrao »

Vileroy,

Your suggestion didn't work.

When i Drgged and Dropped with modifiers, only thing i am getting is the image in the sheet rather that filename with hyperlink.
Even a back-end code to satisfy my issue is no problem for me,
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows Xp Prof