Speeding Up Calc LibreO 5.2.4.2

Discuss the spreadsheet application
decij

Speeding Up Calc LibreO 5.2.4.2

Post by decij »

I have a Windows 7 computer and have several large CSV files that load slowly. Have an Intel Core i7 running at 4 ghz. Have 16 gigs of ram. I know I can go to memory and adjust it, and have played around with it. Currently, I have allocated the max of 2 gigs of ram allocated to LIBOFF,42 mg of ram to each object, have 334 for cache for inserted objects and a time of .08 for removal of memory. These numbers are much higher than the default numbers and have helped a lot, and I have experimented with them. However, don't realize how the ram for each object and the the number for inserted objects would interact with each other. In Windows Task manager about the maximum of Ram used is 25% and it seems like the maximum cpu % is about 15%-20%. If someone could give me tips about the best way to allocate memory, I would greatly appreciate it.
LibreOffice 5.2.4.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Speeding Up Calc LibreO 5.2.4.2

Post by Villeroy »

csv is a database exchange format, isn't it?
Your files have been exported from some kind of database, right?
I think, huge csv files should always be handled by database programs rather than arithmetic calculators.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
decij

Post by decij »

I am doing a large mailing for the first time. Someone handled it for me in the past. I have some experience with calc and none with databases. I will be hiring someone to merge the database. I just want to have an idea of how to speed up calc as much as possible, so I can start out working with calc as much as I can and go from there.
LibreOffice 5.2.4.2
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

decij wrote:I am doing a large mailing for the first time.
If you're planning to use Mail Merge to create your mailing, the data for that always comes from a database, not spreadsheet. One can use a spreadsheet as the data source for the database, but a database is always required. You can load the database directly from the CSV file. Read about Mail Merge in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about it in the Calc Forum.

[Tutorial] Using csv/text files as editable data source
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
decij

Post by decij »

Mr. P,

Your links are very useful. When I hire someone to do the database work, I will also hire him to get me started with databases. Your links will help me learn. In the meantime, Calc is notoriously slow and I want to do everything possible to speed it up. Hoping someone can answer my speed question.
LibreOffice 5.2.4.2
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Are the settings you refer to similar to the attached image? If so, I think they are for graphics and OLE objects and would not expect they would make any difference to non-graphic or non-OLE operations.
oomemory.jpg
Help for the Memory option (in AOO) says:
Memory
Defines the settings for the graphics cache and the number of steps you can undo.

To access this command...
Choose Tools - Options - OpenOffice - Memory

Undo
Defines the maximum number of reverse steps allowed.
Number of steps
You can specify the number of steps which can be undone by selecting a number from the list.
Graphics cache
The graphics cache saves the graphics contained in a document in your computer's main memory. This means that the attributes of a graphic stored in the cache do not have to be re-calculated if you return to the page containing the graphic after scrolling through a document.
Use for OpenOffice (MB)
Specifies the total cache size for all graphics.
Memory per object (MB)
Specifies that objects which are larger than the selected megabytes will not be placed in the cache.
Remove from memory after (hh:mm)
Specifies the time that each graphic remains in the cache in hours and minutes.
Cache for inserted objects
Number of objects
Choose the maximum number of OLE objects that are pooled in the cache.
You may find there are Windows specific settings you can optimise to improve performance; not being one who uses Windows a lot I can't make any useful suggestions.

You might wish to edit your signature to show which version of Windows you use as that may help others here, who have more specific Windows knowledge, to advise you. It may also be worth pursuing the question on a Windows specific forum.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
decij

Post by decij »

Hi Robleyd,

You have the place I have been working from and modifying. With the original settings in the box you copied,I couldn't even open the files. Having changed the settings to supply more ram, the program is much faster and I can open the files. I am just trying to optimize the speed. I am using Windows 7 Professional. Thanks for your help.
LibreOffice 5.2.4.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

As MrProgrammer already stated, you do not have to (and should not) import the csv into a spreadsheet in order to do mail merge from csv.
Save the csv file(s) in a dedicated directory and create a pseudo-database linked to the csv tables in this directory:

###############################################################################################
menu:File>New>Database...
Connect to existing db
Type: <Text>
Specify the import details (separators, encoding, file name suffix)
[X] Register the database (make it accessible for ordinary documents)
Save the database document (in the database directory or elsewhere).
Now you see the csv files in the tables section of your database. Open some tables and check out.
Change settings in menu:Edit>Database>Properties...
###############################################################################################

Nothing has been converted, imported or copied. Your data are still in the text files. Close the database and forget the database (but do not move the file).
If you had imported the stuff into a spreadsheet, you would need the exact same database connection to the spreadsheet so the import is superfluous effort.

Now create your letter template, hit F4, browse your registered database, pick the right csv file and when the table is loaded into the grid grab column headers and drag them into your document in order to add the mail merge fields you need.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

And if the csv file had been exported out of a database within your local network, there are chances that you do not even need any csv file. Instead you may be able to connect a Base document directly to the database. This would save you a lot of time and effort because your mail merge always pulls up to date data directly from the source.

The most important benefit of the Base component is that you can use databases that already exist. Creating new databases is expert work and Base does not make it any easier. But if you already have some connectable database, you can directly connect the whole office suite to it through a so called "database document" which is more a configuration file rather than a document.

csv is just a work-around for programs that do not have any access to the original database.
soby
Volunteer

Post by soby »

how to speedup LO?
i have placed LO 5.3.1 on a flash drive and made a link to the /opt folder, so i am able to update LibreOffice
i also have made some tweaks and the speed is a little higher, the tweaks are not so great as yours
but i think it can't be done one a Windows platform, i am not sure
for the csv files stay with the suggestions Villeroy give to you
AOO is faster than LO
Libre Office 6.1 dev homebuild Open Office 4.1.5 on Slackware64 current