[Solved] Creating a Format icon

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Gösta H. Lovgren

[Solved] Creating a Format icon

Post by Gösta H. Lovgren »

Hi,

First post here. Have been using OO for several years. A fine fine piece of software. Wish I had it 40 years ago when I was self employed in a small business.

What I would like to see is a Number formatting icon for the toolbar that includes the thousands comma. Looked all over and can't find one. It's annoying to have to make at least a half dozen clicks to get that format when working on a spreadsheet.

TIA,

Swede
Last edited by Gösta H. Lovgren on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro
Casual User since VisiCalc on a Model I
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Creating a Format icon

Post by Zizi64 »

Use the Cell Styles instead of the direct formatting.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Gösta H. Lovgren

Thanks the quick reply. Have never used the Cell styles so am unfamiliar with it.

Thx again
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The Styles (the Cell Styles, Page Styles of the calc; Paragraph Styles, Character Styles, Frame Styles, List Styles of the Writer; Graphical Object Styles of the Impress/Draw) are the most effective features of the opensource office suites.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Gösta H. Lovgren

I must not have been clear. What I would like to see is an icon on the toolbar that format a cell (or group of cells) in the Number format with the thousands separator included.

Actually the ideal thing would be for the user to be able to create an icon he could add to the toolbar that would insert his preferred format in addition to the other icons.
Last edited by Gösta H. Lovgren on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Actually the ideal thing would be for the user to be able to create an icon he could add to the toolbar that would insert his defined format.
1. You can write a macro for this task, and then you can assign the macro to a shortcut key, or to a menu item, or to a toolbar item.

2. You can create some user defined cellstyle, and then you can apply them from the "Styles and Formatting" panel of the Sidebar - or the floating one, as you can see on the attached picture.
Thousands.png
3. You can try an extension developed for this task:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... -separator
Gösta H. Lovgren

Thanks your reply. Too involved in a project just now but intend to look into this at the earliest opportunity. Looks very handy to learn. As I stated, I'm only a casual user.

Thanks again.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you are so involved in your projects, you should learn how to master your tools. Templates and styles are the core feature of all office suites. Not using templates and styles is a waste of time.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Gösta H. Lovgren

Villeroy wrote:If you are so involved in your projects, you should learn how to master your tools. Templates and styles are the core feature of all office suites. Not using templates and styles is a waste of time.
Thank you for your advice. I'll certainly consider it (when I have time).
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I suspect that, after you've made the time to read about and study templates and styles, you'll find that the time put into learning about them will be more than made up with other projects.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Gösta H. Lovgren

Zizi64 wrote: ...
3. You can try an extension developed for this task:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... -separator
Thanks for the link, Zizi. It did EXACTLY what I asked for. Now I don't have to take valuable time to study Styles. {grin}

Thanks again.

Swede
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: {Solved} Creating a Format icon

Post by Zizi64 »

Now I don't have to take valuable time to study Styles
You'ill be in truble. Without usage of the styles, you will click a lot when you want modify a directly formatted document.
But that is your time, you will wasting it.
Gösta H. Lovgren

Oh Zizi, you missed the "{grin}" at the end. Maybe it's a language thing. {sigh}

As for "wasting", one man's waste may be another man's leisure.

And for the record, I seldom spend much time with spreadsheets any more (am long retired - 30 years). My history with spreadsheets goes back to the original VisiCalc (the very first spreadsheet- 1978?) so am not unfamiliar with them and well aware of the potential of Styles and the like. I just choose to spend my (remaining?) time elsewhere rather than learning about them unless I have a definite clear need.

Thanks again,

Swede
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

..and I just tried it: the extension not work with localized thousand separator characters like the dot (.) (where the decimal separator is the comma) and the Hungarian [Space] thousand separator...

It is not a fully featured third party extension. Use it at your own risk.
Gösta H. Lovgren

Zizi64 wrote:..and I just tried it: the extension not work with localized thousand separator characters like the dot (.) (where the decimal separator is the comma) and the Hungarian [Space] thousand separator...

It is not a fully featured third party extension. Use it at your own risk.
Must just be for the "comma" market. Works fine here.