Lost my charts and getting crashed trying to edit them now

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mg1

Lost my charts and getting crashed trying to edit them now

Post by mg1 »

Hi,

I'm working on my MA thesis and I have (or had...) quite a big file with about 10 sheets with of data, containing three to five charts each.
Lately, I was editing most of the chartsbecause I wanted them all to have the same font. It looked like the changes we're not applied after leaving the editing mode, but saving, closing and reopening the file usually helped in such case. However, this time after I had editied all the cgarts, I reopened the file and I saw that a terrible thing has happend. Most of my charts were lost. Not only the ones I've had just edited but also those made a week or more earlier. About 70 percents of my charts just disappeared after the restart. That's like a week of my work, while I have less than a week to submit the thing. I have some backups, but I didn't make them regularly, my fault.

I decided to update LO and from that time I can't even edit the charts that I still have. LO instantly crashes after I double-click one of the charts. It happens no matter file format I use (.ods/.xlsx). Resetting my user profil didn't help as well.

Please, anybody help me, I really can't finish my thesis now.
LibreOffice 5.1 on Windows 8.1
FJCC

Re: Lost my charts and getting crashed trying to edit them n

Post by FJCC »

I would try copying the data sheet by sheet into a new document. You may find that after copying all of it the new document is stable or you may find that a particular sheet is the root of the instability.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mg1

Post by mg1 »

FJCC wrote:I would try copying the data sheet by sheet into a new document. You may find that after copying all of it the new document is stable or you may find that a particular sheet is the root of the instability.
Well, this wouldn't help. LO would still crash at double-clicking charts. This happens all the time, no matter if I use my old file or create a new one. No difference between calc or word. Creating a new chart in a new file is not possible.
Copying sheets to another file wouldn't neither recover my lost charts. I guess I'm gonna downgrade LO to the last working version and check if charts would be editable. However, it seems that I have to create all the charts again. Fortunately, the data looks to be intact....

/edit
seems like charts are working good on 5.1.0.3...
any tips for recovering them? i can't believe they got deleted just like that....
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

No idea about recovering the charts but you might want to reset your profile which may cure the crash problem See viewtopic.php?p=58403 for information on the AOO/LO profile. I think the instructions on resetting the profile is message five
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
mg1

Post by mg1 »

jrkrideau wrote:No idea about recovering the charts but you might want to reset your profile which may cure the crash problem See viewtopic.php?p=58403 for information on the AOO/LO profile. I think the instructions on resetting the profile is message five
I mentioned doing that in the first post, it didn't help. Downgrading LO helped.
I'm working on my charts again, as I don't see any possible way of recovering them.
What might've caused the issue is that I created one chart and copied it to other sheets and changed the data source cells.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the charts are in content.xml in the damaged file archive (but unhooked), it might be possible to either repair the damaged hooks for the charts and resave content.xml into the archive to once again make the file work correctly; alternately it might be possible to extract them and insert them into content.xml in the later file, with the correct hooks so they are once again found. Both of these methods need much familiarity with XML code as used by OO; I think rebuilding the charts is easier.

I urge Saving the file to a staging point after each chart, such as File_chart 6, File Chart_7 etc, so that if there is a crash you only lose the last chart.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

mg1 wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:No idea about recovering the charts but you might want to reset your profile which may cure the crash problem See viewtopic.php?p=58403 for information on the AOO/LO profile. I think the instructions on resetting the profile is message five
I mentioned doing that in the first post, it didn't help. .
Sorry I missed that completely.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04