Calc file won't open

Discuss the spreadsheet application
cheveuxlongs

Calc file won't open

Post by cheveuxlongs »

The calc file I use to manage my checkbook and my bills won't open right. When I try to open it, it comes up with a dialog box for text importation and asks if it is comma separted etc. When I press ok, it displays an empty sheet and not the or five sheets of data that I have stored in that file. I have tried setting the user profile and reinstalling Open Office to no avail. Other calc files I have do open normally, so I am wondering if this file has somehow become corrupted. The file is 292 KB, so it is too big to attach. I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas to recover this file and its data?
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Calc file won't open

Post by Zizi64 »

The file is 292 KB, so it is too big to attach.
You can upload it to a file sharing service (for example: Google drive), and then you can link it here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
cheveuxlongs

Post by cheveuxlongs »

Okay. Here is a ;ink to google drive to download my calc file that won't open.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_2Zv ... sp=sharing
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

After downloading the linked file, renaming it as a .zip, then extracting the content.xml file, I found a file that appeared empty, and only required 22 bytes of space.
I hope you have a back-up as that file appears to be corrupt beyond repair.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
cheveuxlongs

Post by cheveuxlongs »

Thanks for the news. No I don't have a backup. I have already built a new Calc file to replace the old one, but I lost a lot of data that I needed for tax purposes. What could have possibly caused the original file to become corrupt? I never had this happen before.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

No I don't have a backup.
Why?

Always make backup files with timestamped filename for your important documents onto different media: onto the cloud, a thumbdrive, onto an another HDD drive, etc...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
cheveuxlongs

Post by cheveuxlongs »

I don't have an adequate answer as to why I did not have a backup. I suppose I felt secure that nothing like this would happen. I've never had a file just suddenly go bad for no reason. It was fine one day, and the next it was unusable. I still would like an answer as to what could have caused this file to suddenly become corrupt.

In future, I will be backing up my files.