Special Copy Needs

Discuss the spreadsheet application
adventurehouse

Special Copy Needs

Post by adventurehouse »

I have a long list of authors that I need to be able to highlight and copy all at once for an auction listing. What I need to be able to do, is click on each author and that author will appear in a separate cell, but allow multiple authors to be chosen and shown within the same cell.

A1 - blank [my thought to be used for showing which author I want chosen]
B1 - author name [Already entered]
D1 - author's names that have been chosen with a character such as "-" separating each name.

I'd copy this into an auction listing instead of writing each name as I do now. I have a list of over 100 names, and it becomes tedious to rewrite their names over and over again.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Mac Os X
lino
Volunteer

Re: Special Copy Needs

Post by lino »

It is not elegant nor cute. It's a kind of duct-tape-staple solution, but it works.
:D
Attachments
Single cell list.ods
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
adventurehouse

Post by adventurehouse »

An idea...but the problem with the solution is that it doesn't allow me to copy the contents of all the authors and replicate the results within a post. The copy/paste would simply copy the formula...not the text string. I appreciate the option. Perhaps...as I think about this, the solution would be for all the unchecked authors disappear allowing me to copy the remaining authors displayed. Alas, I don't know how to do this.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Mac Os X
lino
Volunteer

Post by lino »

Screenshot - PasteSpecial - just text.gif
- Select cell with results
- Ctrl+C (Copy)
- Select target cell
- Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste special)
- in dialog box clear "Paste all" and "Formulas" checkboxes
- OK