[Solved] Consecutive counting

Discuss the spreadsheet application
runnerhiker

[Solved] Consecutive counting

Post by runnerhiker »

I have a large data base composed in horizontal rows as five variables p, 8, b, d, t.

I wish to count the consecutive times a variable does not occur?

These are the requirements:
1.) If P or 8 count +1
2.) If b NO count.
3.) If d or t count remains as the preceding cell count.

Don
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
RusselB

Re: Consecutive counting

Post by RusselB »

Your statement on the 2nd line of your post seems, to me, to contradict (in part, but not totally) what you have posted as your requirements.
For what you ask for in the 2nd line, Do a total count (I suggest using COUNTA), then subtract the count of the variable (obtained using COUNTIF)

If what you want is better described in your requirements, then I suggest using COUNTIFS.
Note: COUNTIFS is not in the Help file, but does have a balloon pop-up help when being entered.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
runnerhiker

Re: Consecutive counting

Post by runnerhiker »

Thanks for the help in developing a consecutive counting algorithm. It gave me some new ideas and I now have a successful algorithm for counting my data base of Baccarat.

Don
OpenOffice 4.1