Italics Destroy Cell Format ?!?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
GuccizBud

Italics Destroy Cell Format ?!?

Post by GuccizBud »

Hi all, this is very weird and makes no sense to me, so maybe the gurus can shed some light on it.

I have a bunch of cells in which I have text, and they're all defined using this simple format code :

                    "     "@

… meaning of course "begin text string 3 spaces over from left edge of cell". It works fine at first, and
if I change the text in a cell partially or completely it continues to observe the formatting just fine, BUT
if I should dare to highlight any part of the contents and italicize it, even if it's one single letter in one
word in the cell, then bam I lose the 3 spaces and cell contents appear flush with left edge of cell.

Note that the cell format code is still identical if I go look at it, still exactly the same as I indicated a
couple of paragraphs ago. It just doesn't show, is all. So if you take 4 cells like this :

               [     this cell formatted as "     "@ ]

… but then say I highlight the word "cell" in the third one down and do Ctrl+I to italicize it, I wind up
with this :

               [this cell formatted as "     "@       ]

… with, as I said, the cell format still set exactly the same way if I look at it. :knock:

Obviously, I can force it to look right after the italicizing just by manually typing in 3 spaces at the beginning
of the string at that point, but I'd prefer it if a bank of cells that are meant to look the same shared the
same cell format, and I'd really prefer understanding what's going on in the first place, if anyone can shed
some light on it for me. Like for one thing… is there a way to italicize (or boldface or underline) part of the
the text in a cell without losing that cell's format code as defined by the user?
OpenOffice 4.1.0
Windows® 7 Pro (64-bit)
keme
Volunteer

Re: Italics Destroy Cell Format ?!?

Post by keme »

It looks like any direct formatting on cell content will override all aspects of direct formatting on the cell, as well as cell style.

Can you instead use indent (under the Alignment tab in Format - Cells)?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Italics Destroy Cell Format ?!?

Post by Zizi64 »

begin text string 3 spaces over from left edge of cell
Use the CellStyles instead of the direct formatting - when it is possible.
Use the Inner Margins feature of the CellStyles instead of aligning by spaces.

And you can check the settings of the Autocorrect feature. Maybe it ignores double spaces.
Double_Spaces.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.