Font color changes to cell background

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Pugilist_Puppy

Font color changes to cell background

Post by Pugilist_Puppy »

I have a spreadsheet that throughout uses black font on to either a light blue or white cell background colour. There are around a dozen of the light blue cells that when one types a entry into it one can't see it and one has to assume it's used font the colour of the cell background.

If i then select the cell and click on and save 'font colour black' it duly displays as black. However the next time i enter data into it the black has not been saved. I've also tried selecting the whole sheet and setting font colour as black and saving but to no avail as the next time i enter date into the cell it won't show until i manually change the cell to black font again.

This one really has me puzzled, any ideas please?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Font color changes to cell background

Post by Zizi64 »

Did you use cell styles or direct formatting?

Did you use a specific font color, or the "automatic" colorize function?

Are you using the native, International Standard ODF filetype (.ods) or foreign (unstandard) filetype?

Can you upload your example .ods file here?

Are you really using that very old OO 3.4.1 version?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Pugilist_Puppy

Post by Pugilist_Puppy »

Thanks for replying i'll answer your queries as best i can.

If wanting a cell's background colour to be anything other than the default white i click on the toolbar 'background colour' icon and select from the squares. Not sure if that is 'cell styles' or 'direct formatting'......possibly the latter?

I'm using the same filetype as i always have ods

Regards the 'old' version: I have some very detailed spreadsheets that i have spent many, many hours on in making formulae do what i need them to do. I have read horror stories about the changes recent versions made to people's sheets that entailed rewriting formula because of changes in the way a new version treats them. Also Libre Office likewise treats certain things differently. Unfortunately i have neither the time or will to go rewriting such an amount of work. My version works superbly on a variety of documents and i am very grateful and pleased at Open Office for it doing so.

Like i say, to my knowledge, i've not made any changes. The sheets have been in heavy use over several years working perfectly. The glitch is only happening on a pretty small numbers of cells but it's tedious to have to go re-colouring the background every time a data change is made.

I guess therefore i'm asking if anyone knows of what setting could have been accidentally changed in these cells and why it won't keep the change to black font when i apply it and save.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Do you have any Conditional Formatting assignments made? In my experience font/color changes based on Conditional Formatting override manual settings.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Pugilist_Puppy

Post by Pugilist_Puppy »

None whatsoever on the cells in question. Also on some of the sheets none anywhere.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

i click on the toolbar 'background colour' icon and select from the squares. Not sure if that is 'cell styles' or 'direct formatting'.
That is the 'direct formatting'.

Can you upload your example .ods file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.